Is my ECU fried?

Mapping discussions
ronnoc47

Is my ECU fried?

#1 Post by ronnoc47 »

I accidently grounded out my fuel pump and now it won't stop running. I tried to re-download the mapping but it didn't help. I've read on other posts that this may be a sign of a fried ECU. If so, where can I get a new one ASAP! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Terry
03 MOTO

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

Is the bike runing ok cept for the fuel pump? If so, then just add a relay or switch to the setup to fix that problem. I would suggest a relay so you wouldn't ever have to worry about hitting the switch. If you don't know how just post and I will give pretty detailed instructions.

ronnoc47

#3 Post by ronnoc47 »

My quad is running perfect except for the fuel pump running all the time. I'm not sure what you are talking about. Please tell me the fix. I thought that if the fuel pump kept running it is a ECU problem. I need to find the solution or get a new ECU as soon as I can.

Thanks
Terry
03 MOTO

cdrookie

#4 Post by cdrookie »

they have ecu's on ebay. you can "buy it now". one wanted $125 smile.gif another wanted 350 then dropped the price to 250. too much. give haydug a call, i bet he has a few laying around.

ronnoc47

#5 Post by ronnoc47 »

Thanks for the info cdrookie.

Terry
03 MOTO

Happyboy

#6 Post by Happyboy »

OK, Just because the fuel pump is messed up doesn't mean your entire ECU is fried. Just this one piece of it. All the ecu is doing to the fuel pump is giving it a ground when the bike is running. You can over ride this by moving the ground wire to a switch or a relay. The switch would have the negative of the fuel pump hooked to one side and a wire gounding to the frame on the other. The relay setup is easier to run with but harder to wire and could wear on the pump a little bit more, not much though. It would wire to the fuel pump, a ground wire, and your key switch. When the key is on it triggers the ground to the fuel pump, when key is off, the ground turns off. That is what a relay does, that is all your ECU was doing for this. You just burned up that relay in the ECU.

This help at all? I really wouldn't waste the money on a new ECU when this is all that is wrong. Unless you just have the 1 or 2 c-bills laying around.

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

What Happyboy said. Just wire it for a relay or simple on off switch. :clap:

ronnoc47

#8 Post by ronnoc47 »

I always thought that the fuel pump only ran when it needs to.
I didn't think it ran continually when the bike is running. If it does, I think the switch/ relay idea will work. That will save me a lot of $ if this works. What kind of relay would you guys recomend?

Thanks
Terry
03 MOTO

thomez

#9 Post by thomez »

If your motor is running, you fuel pump is too. This mod should save your ECU as long as when it fried it didn't get any other circuits. I like the idea of a toggle switch but if you put it on the key switch it would probably remind you to turn your key off (you would hear the pump running and realize you had forgot the key on).

Good luck! smile.gif

Happyboy

#10 Post by Happyboy »

For the kind of relay I don't know off the top of my head. You should be able to go to Radio Shack or Autozone and just tell them you have a 12 volt low amperage circuit you need either the switch or relay for.

Here is another idea for ya.....

Take a volt meter and play around with your ECU harness so you can see what items come on when you hit that little green button. Idealy you would want something that will turn off when the motor turns off. That way your fuel pump won't always run if you leave your key on. If I had the time this week I would goof around and try to find out for you. Hint: Your relay can work two ways, find a wire that goes hot with the ignition, or you can find a wire that goes ground with ignition. I think most of the connections with the ECU go to ground. Just one way to find out. smile.gif Just becareful with it and take notes so you don't short a circuit.
:drink: And none of this before hand!!