gp control program

Mapping discussions
racerx

#1 Post by racerx »

the guys at quadsource can get it for you. give them a call they are great guys to deal with. 734-941-3484

LapTraffic

#2 Post by LapTraffic »

Can you describe what's happening? Is it ceasing the communication and then the ECU is unresponsive or is it delivering a corrupted MAP that causes run issues?

Is he having any other problems with the software? is it glitchy or does it crash?

Is the ECU destroyed or simply zeroed? I would imagine the problem is soft and a recovery program should be able to bring it back up.

Just a few questions for clarification, Im considering buying the software. Is cannondale licensing it or is it 3rd party?

Thanks

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes I remember that.Optimum got kind of ticked off about the whole deal.We never did get a good answer from them.As I understand it the operating program would get wiped out.This same thing happened to us once using dealer cal.They just gave us a new ecm.Sparky's ecm was supposedly shot but they never said what was wrong with it.They just blamed it on Sagem and Johnston Controls who builds the ecm.I didnt like the tone they used at all.
When we use the dealer cal on the PC which runs on office xp once in a while weird things happen it will lock up or not send.I believe it is the computer system itself not the dealer cal.Using a old laptop with windows 95 we never ever have a problem.Downloading maps and litlle stuff I will use the PC but for operating programs I always will use the laptop.
Who knows maybe Sparky has some kind of virus or something.Even with these problems the diagnostic and maint. is well worth the cost and really I havent heard of any other people having a problem with it.

NRath

#4 Post by NRath »

JayBr had a problem with the software. Sounds similar to what was described. It quite responding while trying to load a map and ended up wipipng out the op code. Or something like that. It zapped two ECU's, the dealer cal reloaded the op code and one of them worked fine. I think his scenario is what spurred Optimum's post. He never did find out what the problem was. Maybe he can add more details.

LapTraffic

#5 Post by LapTraffic »

Having been an electronic geeek in a former life, I'm going to put my money on the pig tail connector to the ECU plug. A poor connection or a pushed pin will do what you're talking about.

If a program is unstable you'll see it in other areas and this doesnt sound like what's going on.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Laptraffic,
I agree it must be some type of bad connection or interferance but after those problems are corrected why wont the ecm accept anything.You would think some type of a safeguard would be there.

LapTraffic

#7 Post by LapTraffic »

A bad electrical connection can cause all kinds of Havoc with solid state stuff. Doesnt take a whole lot to zero a chip. They told us in school that the static buildup from walking on a carpet discharged into a solid state device can ruin it.

Im just offering my best guess as to what the problem is, without having the bike and GP program to play with it's hard to verify. I'd bet lunch that Im right tho.

cdaledave89

#8 Post by cdaledave89 »

Originally posted by DirtDiggler
Since I haven't heard of any quads with the stock maps having ECU failures it sounds like it has to be the program.  

I had that exact problem about 8 or 9 months ago. My dealer tried to change some settings on the stock Speed map (injector offset or something) and he could not communicate with the ECM. He called Cannondale and they advised him that the ECM was fried. They sent a new one and the dealer installed it with no problems. So, I wouldn't be too quick to place blame on the software alone. My guess is that it might be a combination of problems.

oldsandman

#9 Post by oldsandman »

My speed has also had the problem with the gp control. When I went to load the optimum maps on it my compaq will just continue to download to the bike but will never complete the task.

Jaybr

#10 Post by Jaybr »

Haven't been on in awhile, been in the woods hunting. I'm the one that spurred the post from Optimum a few months ago on ATV Connection with the same problems discussed here, and I too am a software engineer with an electronics background.

My original ECU lost the OP code when I was trying to set the TPS, the software hung while sending the new settings to the ECU. Working with Kyle at R&S and Mark at the factory, I recieved a second ECU and had the exact same problem. I sent the second ECU back to Cannondale and they sent me a third. Both of the first two ECU's where succesfully reloaded at the factory and sent back to me. Mark and Kyle both had the 2 ECU's I fried and neither could get them to fail with the Dealer Cal or ProCal software. Optimum Power sent me a desktop harness for testing. Connected on the bench with a different PC, I fried both of the first two ECU's again trying to load a map. The third ECU that I recieved worked flawlessly over and over again and is still in my Speed. I tried to get Optimum and Cannondale to send me the software to reload the OP code so I could continue to troubleshoot the problem and neither would send it.

I sent both of the bad ECU's back to Optimum for testing along with their bench harness and my software CD. They returned my CD and said it was fine. They assured me they would let me know what they found out in their testing, but I never heard what the actual problem was, and they didn't respond to my last couple emails.

I would say that I ruled out a wiring/electrical problem by using the bench harness and even a different battery, and I ruled out the PC by switching. Based on the fact that I could consistently blow the OP code out, but ProCal and Dealer Cal worked fine, my theory is that there was some sort of minor change in the ECU's along the way and the Maintenance and Diag software has problems with some ECU's. I can't decifer the serial numbers on the ECU's, but the 2 I had problems with where close, 127xxx and 131xxx, the one that works fine is 214xxx.

Hope this helps