Decompression weights are here....

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
Happyboy

Decompression weights are here....

#1 Post by Happyboy »

Well, after much time and money they are completed.
Here is the thread about them being made:
http://www.cannondaleriders.com/vbb/showth...t=decompression

And you can see it took right about 6 months. The shop got bad busy and couldn't spare the time for the machines. Well, they got caught up and these are now finished.

Final cost is going to be $24.75 + 3.85 shipping. R&D on this little booger was outragous as the design....well....its hard.

For those that made a deposit originally there is a $2.00 discount. Thanks for helping make this happen since upfront costs always hurt. I have a list of the deposits so I didn't forget yah. smile.gif

If there are any questions feel free to ask.
****On changing these out....I would recomend contacting Wistech about these. Here is why.....

This mechanism is not very easy to change out. We have to remove the timing gear from the cam, remove the bearing, bearing race, then grind out the edge of the cam that is holding the backing plate on. Then drill out the pin that is holding on the weight. Remove the weight. Then get a new pin and fit the pin and weight so you don't have too much play. Then put it all back together. FUN STUFF!!

********These machined parts are just an improvement over the powdered metal. As with any NEW part people need to realize that there is always a risk of failure especially when not assembled correctly. I strongly recomend having an experienced person do this for you.

With that being said. Anyone who puts this in their motor can be considered testers because these are new parts. These parts have been looked at and tested a few different ways so don't worry that this was just thrown together. Now, I will not put anything into my motor that I don't have the belief it is stronger and more reliable than what is in there already.

A big component of this "fix" is tightening the spec on the pivot. John has this down to a T. In order for any weight to work best this pivot needs to be assembled correctly.

***Just and FTI***
One thing some will notice about these weights over the stock powdered or billet is the fit. We were more concerned over functionality over making a perfect match to the old ones. We tried to get them to fit back just like the billet ones did but we just couldn't. They sit near perfect in the running position but don't in the low RPM mode. This is not a problem though. They are functional and there is no stress on the top island that would cause a problem.

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

These are not a throw in part. These must be fitted to the particular pivot pin and backing plate. Because of the variance in pin sizes we decided to cut these a hair too small to prevent some pins being too loose in hole. So, the pivot hole will have to be reamed out to fit the pin when you are assembling. This was done as a safety precaution to keep from having a wobble in the weight. This wobble can kill the mechanism and is a source of failure today.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Good Job getting it done!Few people have a clue as to how much work it takes to get things made in a timely matter much less done right this is what Haydug,Timbo and everyone else that get parts made for us have to go through all the time.Glad you stuck with it.

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:usa

Happyboy

#5 Post by Happyboy »

I added the $3.85 for shipping above.

fig

#6 Post by fig »

Thanks for your effort:clap: :clap:

Are you going to have these in stock? I may need some in two months, should I get them now or can I wait?

Thanks

Happyboy

#7 Post by Happyboy »

Depending on if anyone wants to carry them. I honestly don't know if they will be available again unless it was another group buy. I may have one or two but time will tell. Get one and hold on to it. They are cheap enough so it won't break your bank. wink.gif

cannibalq8

#8 Post by cannibalq8 »

two late dumb questions

1- What is decomp mechanisim do ?

2- What's wrong with stock decomp mechanisim ?

I remember that Wade told me that there is no decomp mechanisim in my engine.

thanx in advance

Happyboy

#9 Post by Happyboy »

Blazinmoto

#10 Post by Blazinmoto »

Happy, I can't remember if I put a deposit on one. Can you let me know?:confused: