New Magnets

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
kdeal

New Magnets

#1 Post by kdeal »

As many of you know I had a bunch of anondized aluminum magnetic oil drain plugs made up a while back. These are a nice quality piece to any Dale motor. It got me and a few of the R&D guys thinking..... Do you see the smoke? I have come up with a better mousetrap on the magnet idea that Cannondale27 came up with for the scavenge pump floor area. I Was told by one of the elders here that the oil drain plug was not in the path of the oil as it went back thru the scavenge pump, so I came up with a nice flat and wide magnet that is stronger than the oil drain magnets. While Wistech was down here he told me a neat idea where he was putting a drain plug magnet from another drain plug in the oil return feed line on the top of the motor. This magnet just sits in the strainer loose and picks up any debris BEFORE it gets back to the motor. Simple idea = maximum results. I have picked up some of both magnets and with Haydug's permission I will be selling them to members for just a few dollars each with a donation going to the site for every one sold. These should go for about $2.00 to $2.50 each including the donation! Here is a pic of what I am refering to.

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

BE CAREFUL with these things. They will pinch some skin when handled improperly. You have to treat them like a dog in heat or....oops too late.

speed2424

#3 Post by speed2424 »

Let me know when you get them in stock. I want them for the motor that was in the stolen - recovery quad.<:mad:

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

I have to hear from Doug first to be able to officially offer it here on the site. But it's cheap insurance.

jerrygomez2002

magnet

#5 Post by jerrygomez2002 »

Good Idea, wonder if it restricts oil flow any?

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

If I'm not mistaken, there is one in the 55hp dyno motor. The magnet is small only 1/4" x 1/2" long, and the screen in the motor is a few inches long. The other magnet fits on the floor plate near the scavenge pump screen and is only .062" tall, no problems there either. AND no excuses about the oil not having to go over the magnet to get back to the pump.

chigger81

#7 Post by chigger81 »

I had a thought about the magnet idea the other day. Could we make a section in our oil lines with a magnetic plug that screwed out. A high powered magnet could just yank all the shavings out of the oil as it passed by, and it could be installed at an oil change instead of dropping the thing to do it.

No clue why it wont post that as a picture... rolleyes.gif

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

That's pretty much what we are doing here. One of the magnets goes in the oil return line fitting on the back of the motor. You are suppose to clean this screen out at every oil change. The little magnet just sits in this screen grabbing any metal before it reenters the motor. The other magnet goes on the floor of the scavenge pump pick-up. All oil going into the scavenge pump has to go across this magnet before it can go thru the pump. It is easily accessable by removing the four bolts that hold the scavenge pump cover on.

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

Doug has given the ok to sell these directly to the forum members as long as a donation from the sale is sent to the site. I am going to sell the little one for $1.50 & the large thin one for $2.00 each with a donation going to the site for each one sold. I also have a few magnetic oil drain plugs left if anyone wants one as well.

chigger81

#10 Post by chigger81 »

Ive got a drain plug, but I think Id buy one of these too. What do you glue the magnets on with?