prototyping removeable side cover

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
turbospeed440

#21 Post by turbospeed440 »

i am a cnc machinist and at work we have 3 axis and 5 axis cnc millers. ive been playing around in the design of a new cover from scratch. the only thing with that is you would need a large piece of aluminue. it will probley be around 100 per piece. then machining time on top of that. you are looking at a cover of around 400-500 getting a casting made will be to much also. so we are left with cutting the stock one.

about how many alum to mag covers are out there. ?
is the motorcycle cover the same? i think so.

as far as having the starter bolts tweek. or crank plate i dont think so. the only thing i might do is go with longer bolts to hold the cover on thats it.

i like azcanno idea also. i dont want to cut my cover. does anyone have a bad cover forsale.

azcannon

#22 Post by azcannon »

I know its the last thing I would want to spend money on right now but I would really like to have a custom timin cover that was much thicker and would quiet down the motor a lot.

haydug

#23 Post by haydug »

Let me know where to send a cover, I'm going to the UPS on Tuesday. :usa

turbospeed440

#24 Post by turbospeed440 »

you can really quited the engine by using a clutch basket that has the teeth ground into them not cut it really makes a diff almost like a honda 400 ex

Canniboomer

#25 Post by Canniboomer »

I have a few more that are quite decent -- maybe Doug and I can get some working prototypes!! he he he :drink:

cannondale27

#26 Post by cannondale27 »

Turbospeed it looks like your Joint design would keep the strength.I would think that if the two mating surfaces were welded and held together with screws may even gain a little strength from the added piece at joint.I have a aluminum one you can have also.But I think they might be thicker than the Mag ones so it might be better to just deal with the mag ones since I would say 80% of the covers out there are Mag.

turbospeed440

#27 Post by turbospeed440 »

if i can get a cover or two ill make what i need and get them to you and doug. to get your input and comments. thanks paul

haydug

#28 Post by haydug »

I will send you 2 of them. I have one that the top is broken, just about threw it away last week. You can practice, cut, butcher, whatever to it without ruining a good one. Then whip out a nice proto and ship it on down! :clap:

MX Quad Dad

#29 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Well, I might as well add my thoughts.

I was looking to cut it more like azcannon's first pic, but instead I was going to cut off just the part that covers the exhaust cam (the shallow part that is behind the spar) gear. then have a new piece made to cover the exhaust cam gear and make it to were it extends under the cover so you could use the "H" style gaskit plus drill and tap it so you could run a bolt or two thru the cover and into the new piece

I understand what I wrote but bet nobody else can

turbospeed440

#30 Post by turbospeed440 »

well ive have made up my discission. im going to cut the cover right above the top starter bolt. I ran the idea by 2 of the engineers we have at work and they agree with me. i have all the measurement. i drew up the parts anybody know where i can get the gasket made. i will provide a blueprint. As soon as i get the test covers from haydoug. ill get machining.