Cwr Cams

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
GDITheman

#61 Post by GDITheman »

since i live in a motel 5-6 days a week, the motel towels came in handy for packing. use lots of duct tape. it fits in there. it's just snug.

i loved watching the UPS guy push and drag the cooler when he dropped it off to me. he couldn't figure out there is a handle that pops up and has wheels. after i signed for it, i just popped up the handle and wheeled it away and he was standing there looking stupid. funny stuff.

CptHook

#62 Post by CptHook »

Well when I tryed it, I just lightly set it in there, I didnt shove it down. Mainly because if it didnt fit, I wanted to still be able to take it back, haha. I have good faith in you guys though so Ill just shove her on in there real hard.

Tim I still need your shipping address! :eek:

Happyboy

#63 Post by Happyboy »

I wouldn't do the expanding foam thing. Just put the motor in there lik eyou have it then stuff it tight with bubble wrap or towels. Peanuts have a dirty way of getting everywhere they shouldn't so I would try and avoid those with a motor.

cannondale27

Nitriding

#64 Post by cannondale27 »

Found this article on the web.Comp Cams

So, What is Nitriding, Exactly?

Of all the innovations Brown pointed out, he said nitrided camshafts will likely be one of the most helpful advancements for Saturday night racers. For more information on nitriding and what it means to you, we spent a little time with Billy Godbold, one of Comp Cams' camshaft designers.

"Nitriding is best for racers using flat tappet camshafts because it is only beneficial for reducing sliding friction," he explains. "The biggest problem for a flat tappet cam is lobe failure. There is only so much lobe lift you can run before the lobe gets too pointy and it wears the nose out. There is only so much spring you can run before it wears the nose out. And there is the velocity limit when you are running flat tappet lifters. All of those limits have to do with wear.

"Wear is even a problem in the limited lift classes. In that situation, you are trying to open the valve as quickly as possible, hold it near max lift for as long as possible, and then close the valve at the last minute. What you wind up with is a cam lobe with corners on both sides of the cam lobe, and it's those corners that can be damaged under harsh conditions.

"So, what we really are trying to do is keep those from wearing. There are two solutions that can decrease wear--increase the cam's hardness and increase its lubricity--and nitriding the cam does both things.

"The type of nitriding we use is called a plasma nitride. The other method is salt bath nitriding, but that produces only a very thin case, sometimes less than 0.001 inch. Plasma nitriding can produce thick case depths, around 0.01 inch, which is ten times the capability of a salt bath.

"What you are doing is putting the camshaft in a big vacuum vessel. You take most of the air out and pump in nitrogen. Then you put the camshaft and the walls of the container to different potential, like across a battery. The nitrogen cooks up to itself and forms needles. Those nitrogen needles are rapidly accelerated and then crashed into the surface of the camshaft. It's a lot like shot-peening, except instead of shot you are bombarding the surface of the cam with nitrogen, which imbeds itself into the material's atomic structure.

"Nitrogen behaves a lot like carbon. It gives the cam a very hard, slick surface. It is almost like putting little ball bearings along the surface of the cam lobes. This means the camshaft is going to last much longer. Engine builders can go with more aggressive lobes they couldn't use before, and you are going to decrease wear tremendously. It's not twice as long or three times as long for the typical cam versus a nitrided cam; it's 10 or 12 times more life span. Getting a cam nitrided will cost around $150, but given the benefits, I think it's a very cost-efficient upgrade."

cannondale27

#65 Post by cannondale27 »

Quote:

Its importance cannot be over emphasized as the success or failure of a racing
camshaft is totally dependent upon proper hardness.Many cam grinding ...
www.iskycams.com/engineering.

cannondale27

Eddy Current Testing

#66 Post by cannondale27 »

The more I find about this testing method more I like it.Just need to find someone who does it.Help!

http://www.asnt.org/publications/materials...on/apr00sol.htm

cannondale27

#67 Post by cannondale27 »

Last which is also important and could be a factor
http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/cam1.htm

timbomoose

#68 Post by timbomoose »

Talked to Greg at CWR today. He does seem genuinly concerned and is trying to take care of the problem and also is trying to take care of people.He was very open to suggestions. Can't ask for much more than that. I apologize to Greg for being as harsh as I was. Hopefully the end result will be a top quality camshaft. Still everyone running these cams does need to stop running them until problem is solved.

timbomoose

#69 Post by timbomoose »

Cpt hook let me know when you get'er sent back.I'll try to make the turn around time as quick as possible.

Smitty911

Re: Eddy Current Testing

#70 Post by Smitty911 »

Originally posted by cannondale27
The more I find about this testing method more I like it.Just need to find someone who does it.Help!

http://www.asnt.org/publications/materials...on/apr00sol.htm

This is just one of many Non-destructive testing methods. The problem with Eddy current is mostly the operator. The ASNT has three levels of certification. Level I, II, and III. The level II usally have the most experiance and hands on with the Level III writing the procedures.

I was a Level II in three different areas and Level I in one. I didn't read the whole thing but eddy current testers are not usally that expensive.

Maybe I can find someone out here to look into it. Time to warm up the cold contacts.

http://www.qmi-inc.com/EDDY%20CURRENT.htm

http://www.zetec.com/

http://www.ibgndt.com/eddynomic-eddy-current-test.htm

Smitty