New Style Engine Case

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

Jeeze that was cutoff with a Sawzall ohmy.gif

Psychosis

#12 Post by Psychosis »

My question then if this is a newer case then what is it I've got on my engine from ATK? It looks similar but it slightly different. Seems thicker, engine mounts seem more built, is machined hydro and no stamp on engine. Sandstorm said it might've been a prototype case and when I had asked ATK back when they were willing to respond to messages, they told me I must've been given one of the prototype 04 cases and that it must've been a mistake. I've kept it and will be building around it over the next few weeks.

So if the one in this thread was a predecessor then what the **** do I have? It's different than the other two cases I have.

cannondale27

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

We need pics.They have some of those with a extra crankplate bolt hole.Bet thats what you have.Good Thing.

kdeal

#14 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jan 29 2007, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jeeze that was cutoff with a Sawzall ohmy.gif

My guess is that it was a band saw.

I don't see any advantages to this case except for the casting itself. It definitely looks stronger than any SSM case I have seen. The case in my early 2002 Speed looks like they put super glue in a sand box and shaped it into a case! It's course textured and ugly! Where as this case looks like you poored it into a mold.

Psychosis

#15 Post by Psychosis »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jan 29 2007, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We need pics.They have some of those with a extra crankplate bolt hole.Bet thats what you have.Good Thing.

Engine's coming out this week sometimes so will get some. Will have 3 cases next to each other on bench so will see what all's different up close. I just thought it weird to have no vin numbers or anything on it.

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

See the three bumps and radious?Late 03 motors had this.They also had Radious on inside corners of front mounts.This case doesnt.Maybe it was cheaper to develop in a normal casting and once developed SSM was then made?

I do remember a discussion between Maz and 4strokemadman discussing lack of testing of SSM case though.Was said there was none done.

wanablaze

#17 Post by wanablaze »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jan 29 2007, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do remember a discussion between Maz and 4strokemadman discussing lack of testing of SSM case though.Was said there was none done.

I didn't hear that! LOL laugh.gif

claas900

#18 Post by claas900 »

Talking about the clutch, back when I was shopping for a dale one salesman (for whatever thats worth)told me that the cannibal and speeds had manual clutches and the blaze and motos had hydro clutches. But then I had another salesman tell me he????????s never seen a dale with a cable clutch so who knows. At one time they may have done casting the cases for both styles?

wayneschofield

#19 Post by wayneschofield »

The smooth, shiny, casting you see is a 'die-casting'. It costs a heap of money to make a 'die' to make the part so, instead, a 'pattern' is made (a slightly oversize blank version of the component needed) and, from this, a sand 'mould' is made. Into this mould is poured moulten Ally. When this cools it shrinks (hence the 'pattern' is slightly larger than the part needs to be). The surface of the sand casting is rough, from the bits of sand that make up the 'mould'. The surface of a 'Die' has to be smooth or the component would not come out of the die.

A Die is a 'permanent mould' which can be used over and over (better for mass production) but it is more expensive to make initially, so not suited to low-volume or prototype production. With a sand casting, the mould is destroyed every time a component is made with it. With sand casting the 'pattern' is the 'permanent' part and, as this is usually made from coated wood, MDF, plastic or even wax, as it is cheap to make and easy to alter the design for 'evolutions'.

The likelyhood is that our early motors were all sand cast and, once the casting design had finished it's 'evolution', and there were enough units being sold, then a die would be produced for the long term manufacturing of greater numbers. This is bourn out by the die-cast casing appearing to have both cable and hydro shapes cast into it. This would probably be a 'universal' casting - to be machined into a cable or hydro spec for future part replacements for cable cases or for production hydro cases.

That's my guess anyway....

And what the @#!! do salesmen ever know?... You want to know about something....? Go into the worshops and ask the guy who fixes them...! Salesmen....pah!

kdeal

#20 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Jan 29 2007, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Talking about the clutch, back when I was shopping for a dale one salesman (for whatever thats worth)told me that the cannibal and speeds had manual clutches and the blaze and motos had hydro clutches. But then I had another salesman tell me he????????s never seen a dale with a cable clutch so who knows. At one time they may have done casting the cases for both styles?

The brochure I pulled the first pick from is where the salesman got his information. It touted the hydro clutch in the Blaze/Moto models but not the Speed/Cannibal models. I have an early model Speed with a Hydro clutch. Like I said, it has the ugliest case I have ever seen. As so far as no cable clutch case Cannondales, that guy got into the game late and never saw any of the 2001 or early 2002 models or an X440s model.