timing chain....

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
MyCannibal

#1 Post by MyCannibal »

is there a way to adjust the timing chain without removing the motor?....and how do i tell if its tight enough?....thanks for the input...

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (MyCannibal @ Apr 8 2006, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is there a way to adjust the timing chain without removing the motor?....and how do i tell if its tight enough?....thanks for the input...

The timing chain is self adjusting and would be very difficult to reset by going through the clutch cover. Very Very difficult. maybe I should say impossible?
You should be able to see if its worn out by looking at how close it is to hitting itself in the center. Why do you ask. Got some noises ?

MyCannibal

#3 Post by MyCannibal »

no...just the normal cannondale engine noises.....what will it sound like?..grinding noise?....so if i take my clutch cover off and look at it how much space would you say should be in the center ( between the chain ).....thanks wistech.....

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (MyCannibal @ Apr 8 2006, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no...just the normal cannondale engine noises.....what will it sound like?..grinding noise?....so if i take my clutch cover off and look at it how much space would you say should be in the center ( between the chain ).....thanks wistech.....

Well when they are totally shot they will be touching or close to it. A half inch or better is what you want.

MyCannibal

#5 Post by MyCannibal »

thanks again....