crank seal

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
mike justice

#1 Post by mike justice »

I wondered if you guys have had a lot of trouble with the flywheel side crank seal leaking.I have tried both the 5mm wide seal and the 7mm wide seal,both leak.I just put new crank in with new bearings,new seal,it still leaks,anybody know of a fix?

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

Did you tape the end of the crank when you put it in? The threads can rip across the the seal and cause a future leak.

I am guessing you have hydro becasuse you tried both seals. I noticed a small leak on one of my quads a long time ago and as it turns out the flywheel wasn't touching the seal to keep it seated all the way. I made a washer that fit in there properly and it worked great, no more leak. Is your seal working its way out just enough to leak?

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

A little seepage doesnt hurt anything either.Often after 3 or 4 months I take cover of and there will be a mix of oil,water crud about a 1/8in. up.

mike justice

#4 Post by mike justice »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Dec 17 2006, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A little seepage doesnt hurt anything either.Often after 3 or 4 months I take cover of and there will be a mix of oil,water crud about a 1/8in. up.

mike justice

#5 Post by mike justice »

I thought the spacer ring that lines up stator also holds seal in place.The last 2 seals i put in, 1 was a 5mm, and 1 was a 7mm,looked fine, except a little damage from removing it.My main question was, does the seal fit tight enough around the shaft.I have noticed that the seals do not leave a mark on the crank where they have been running,with a spring loaded seal,it shouldnt leak.I wondered if a slightly tighter seal would help,if there is one that will work?I just wanted to run this thru the R and D to see what you all think?

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

You may have a crack in your case . Are you putting a light coating of sealer on the seal bore ? Pressure test the case before you pull the seal out and see exactly where it is leaking.

mike justice

#7 Post by mike justice »

QUOTE (wistech @ Dec 17 2006, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You may have a crack in your case . Are you putting a light coating of sealer on the seal bore ? Pressure test the case before you pull the seal out and see exactly where it is leaking.

Best i can tell it is coming out around crankshaft itself.I put hondabond 4 around outer part of seal.What all would i have to block off to pressure test?

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

Its the same as on the bench testing. Oil inlet,scavange outlet,valve cover vent,starter clutch vent. ONLY use 5 to 10psi regulated air.

mike justice

#9 Post by mike justice »

QUOTE (wistech @ Dec 18 2006, 06:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its the same as on the bench testing. Oil inlet,scavange outlet,valve cover vent,starter clutch vent. ONLY use 5 to 10psi regulated air.

I pressure tested it,you were rt,hairline crack running out from hole in case for seal at about 3 0clock,TOAST!!!!!!!!!! Probably from earlier crank bearing failure sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

Since the case is junk . Slap some silicone on it and ride it. Some of those will run a long time before it gets worse. Just keep an eye on it.