Coated Cam gears

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wayneschofield

#1 Post by wayneschofield »

Hi.

Has anyone tried having the cam gear teeth coated with anything to take out some of the slop to reduce timing scatter and, god forbit, some NOISE?

Cheers.

T-Rex

#2 Post by T-Rex »

Thats not a bad idea, but I think it wouldn't last long becasue of the strain the drive train puts on it. Could put a dry film lubricant on the teeth of the gear drive. Just an idea....

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

The majority of the noise on a Cannondale motor comes from the clutch basket area. Everything is straight cut gears and they are the loudest! Try putting a nice 1/4" layer of oil resistant silicone to the back of the clutch cover. You will be amazed at the noise reduction! If you have your motor out and want to go full bore, do the big side cover as well.

Sandstorm

#4 Post by Sandstorm »

I might try that if it works that good..

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

I have actually heard of someone who Rhinocoated the inside of both covers with good results as well. If you are lucky enough to come across a factory aluminum side cover the noise is not as bad. Same could be said for aftermarket aluminum clutch covers. The magnesium covers common on most motors has a ringing effect vs the dull thud of an aluminum cover or a coated magnesium one. Don't believe me? Go out to a spare cover and give it the old wrench test, rap one with a wrench then do something similar in aluminum. Could also do a before and after test on a coated cover. Wistech found a very high quality silicone that has a high contact rate and will not be affected by the oil. I think he gets it from a International Harvester or Ford dealer.

timbomoose

#6 Post by timbomoose »

The other biggest noise maker in the motor is the c'balance and crank gears.Just give the crank a spin without the piston in and hear the clatter.Gotta be a tie for the clutch basket or at least close.Definately the 2 biggest noise makers in the motor,but thankfully completely harmless.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

I think after seeing that animated pic of cam gear slop its in the least something that is going to have to be measured and a tolerance come up with.Our machines are getting old.When doing cam timing its is really noticable and care has to be taken to take slop out in direction motor is turning.You would think though that once cam is off bucket it really would move around some but once back on slop would be taken up.Not sure how important it is as long as slop was taken up when degreeing cams.Coatings arent big $ so it would be worth a shot.I wonder if Hanover gear made cam gears?Might want to discuss it with them.Maybe a harder gear is in order.Always sounded like they were willing to make parts.Price may be a issue.