One-Way bearing

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#1 Post by cannondale27 »

Most of time this is the culprit.
Pic 1 shows where it is located.Yes complete motor disassembly to get at culprit.
Pic 2,3 shows the spring that holds Pawls(bearings)in cage.This is what wears or breaks and causes issues.Notice kinks in spring that is start of failure.
Pic 4(left) is a spring I removed from a seal.Wrong length but I am sure a replacement spring can be found of correct size.Only issue I have is most of these springs in seals are made a circle by screwing ends into each other.The starter clutch spring kind of looks to be made a circle by intertwining a ways.

replacing spring and cleaning up bearing surface would fix most for under a few $'s(cost of seal for spring)BUT whole assembly is about $50 new.Then again it all adds up at rebuild time.Not sure if its worth trying this fix since if it fails motor has to come apart.Let me know what you think.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

When the clutch rollers start to get wear spots on them then end up rotating further when engaging. This eventually starts to kink the spring and eventually it breaks. A couple years ago I did replace the spring with one from a seal and it is still working . I highly recomend polishing up the inner hub during a rebuild to keep wear on the rollers to a minimum. Since the oil pump feeds oil directly down the countershaft when a crank fails the starter clutch should be replaced or at least fully inspected /cleaned . It will get the first dose of steel fragments from the crank failure.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

When the clutch rollers start to get wear spots on them then end up rotating further when engaging. This eventually starts to kink the spring and eventually it breaks. A couple years ago I did replace the spring with one from a seal and it is still working .

These are a conflicting statement Wistech.Not going to get away with that biggrin.gif So are you saying the rollers(pawls) wearing are the cause?They could wear a awful lot and still function fine I think.As long as surface is clean and smooth as you said.This kinked spring came from a motor with very low hours.No signs of wear at all on rollers its obvious the action of rollers causes kinks but it looks like they will kink that spring whether rollers are worn or not.Just nature of beast.

I would really like to see a solid wire in there.Need to experiment with that.Danger would be that its likely not all rollers are actually activated everytime since they all wouldnt grip same.Might cause one to flip or something.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

Oh sure they can get all worn out but they will still function fine as long as the spring is still intact to give them the slightest amount of pressure to give them the initial grip to the shaft. Once its breaks then only a few end up gripping and you get the slippage /grinding sounds . I remember having to deal with these dam things a lot on my 300ex when we got it up to 410cc's. Its almost exactly the same part.