Power Commander for Cannondale

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

Power Commander for Cannondale

#1 Post by cannondale27 »

As you all know mapping can be a major headache especially with all the different combos out there now as far as motorwork.Well being the jealous type and watching how easy maps are made for other fuelinjected bikes using the Power Commander and their dyno finally decided to give Dynojet a call.Guy I spoke with is Curt.Very nice and I could tell he was as interested as me in doing the project.Called up Brad,Sandstorm and CJ at Ace Racing all of whom are near LasVegas all are willing to help out by loaning a quad to Power Commander to fit one up.Timbo and Brad and I am sure Haydug have offered to use thier might and business to help out also.I am going to make this a mission to get it done.But no promises since we dont even know if it will work.
Power Commander is a piggy back system that works with your stock ECU.It intercepts all the signals to adjust fuel and timing.It also has the nice feature to be able to be taught by a Dynojet Dyno very accurately.You would still need the D&M for normal adjustments.But once base map is made there are 3 dials on the commander to allow manual adjustment of fuel in low,mid and high range.What Timbo and I envision is motor gets major mods,commander is installed,you go to your nearest Dynojet dyno and get a base map made(lots of them around)using your stock settings then any minor mods can be compensated using the dials or D&M or PC connected to Power Commander.Dont know if this will work but going to give it a shot with everyones help.Check out thier site and notice that all upgrades are always free.They also have all kinds of maps instructions etc.for the public to use.No mention of money yet but most kits I have seen go for $320.Talking to guy they seem like a really great company and have always wanted to give the Dales a shot.Hope this can happen.

http://www.powercommander.com/

dalewannbe

#2 Post by dalewannbe »

This would be nice to get done. Especially considering all the different engine combination were are coming up with. Good work and keep us posted on how this project progresses.

wanablaze

#3 Post by wanablaze »

I agree. Would be very cool. I honestly think each bike should have it's own maps.

61austin

#4 Post by 61austin »

Originally posted by wanablaze
I honestly think each bike should have it's own maps.

I agree, with all the different combinations if pipes, intakes, and porting I think that it will take a specific map for each setup to get the maximum benefits.

Exodus

#5 Post by Exodus »

In the end it makes sense to have a specific map made for your particular motor. Even in stock form, these motors seem to have their own uniqueness about them. A tuned map would make all the difference in how that motor put the power down, even in stock form.

J. Delaney

#6 Post by J. Delaney »

I've got a PC on my ZX6RR and it's very easy to change maps. It also has an accelerator pump feature which eliminates the lean condition when you WOT. Power Commander also has a quick shifter feature which allows clutchless up shifts at WOT. I have one of those too and it's pretty neat.

Zerotact

#7 Post by Zerotact »

what do we need to get them to go for an ATK? The guy runniong the dyno I ran mine on said it would be easier if it had a power comander.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Thats whats great about a P.C. it works after the stock ECU.So yes it would work with a ATK since all the plugins (injectors,TPS,etc) are same.Changing maps would be same effect but greater in some areas since the commander works off one map.
P.C. map+ECU stored map=overall map
In other words if the map that was used in conjunction with programming P.C. was 45 on timing in end and PC added 5 if you put a map in with 65 you would end up with 70.If you decide to control timing with P.C. which can also be manually entered just like ProCal only easier.Transient Sensitivity is only other diff between maps since as you said one fuel map works for all maps.Since the P.C. doesnt know the sensitivity has changed from original map it would just keep doing what it was with original map and any addition of sensitivity would be added or subtracted from original.I think.Definitly great questions to pose to these guys.

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Still want to do this.There is a video floating around of a LTR doing the step mapping on Dynojet dyno.So cool dyno tells operator where to hold throttle and maps itself!Look at all the cool tools also.
http://www.ulmerracing.com/controller.htm

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Here is link to some LTR charts and how they were made.Video is at bottom.
http://www.lt-r450central.com/invision/ind...?showtopic=3064