spun flywheels

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
hawksd1

#1 Post by hawksd1 »

Hey r&d guys I have an idea pertaining to our flywheels. Im sitting here looking at my repinned flywheel and thinking that if we made a piece of steel shaped like a washer with a lil larger inner diameter than than the front opening of the fly wheel then drill the three holes for pinning like boomer does and the outer diameter matched the flat area on the face of the flywheel that you could weld a small bead on the inner diameter to the actual steel of the hub. Therefore making the surface for pinning more substantial plus giving the whole flywheel more torque value versus sheer effect from radically changing crank speeds. This would also add more bite on the outer diameter of the alum casting rather than just those lil teeth the hub has inside the casting...with a weld to the top of the pins to the washer like steel dealy. Hope I explained this well enough but maybe witech can grab onto this idea and run with it or maybe Dave or maybe deaton with the welder buddy would like to give this a try...I believe this would improve greatly against the torque damage we are seeing

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Wistech did make a couple prototypes kind of like you describe but with a full diameter steel plate

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

I went a step further and ditched the whole idea of reinforcing the aluminum and just got rid of the whole face and replaced with steel. That way it wieghs the same and no weak link.

Idahocannibal

#4 Post by Idahocannibal »

Thats kinda what I had done. I havent had a chance to put much time on this flywheel to see if it holds up though.

yamadjs08

#5 Post by yamadjs08 »

QUOTE (wistech @ Mar 30 2007, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I went a step further and ditched the whole idea of reinforcing the aluminum and just got rid of the whole face and replaced with steel. That way it wieghs the same and no weak link.

Any time on it? How's it holding up? Post up some pics!

T-Rex

#6 Post by T-Rex »

This is an interesting topic. It seems the people running out rage us gearing are having problems. I run 14/42 and don't have any problems. I feel 15/30 something is too much for the flywheel to keep up when shifting gears. In other words the speed and motion of the flywheel is so great that shifting to another gear is too much of a drop causing to much stress. Just my opinion..... wacko.gif

wanablaze

#7 Post by wanablaze »

Longer gearing creates more leverage on the flywheel than stock gearing. That's why it is easier to turn the motor over in fifth gear than in first.

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (Idahocannibal @ Mar 31 2007, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats kinda what I had done. I havent had a chance to put much time on this flywheel to see if it holds up though.

How do you have that attached in the middle? If it's not secured in the middle it's not doing any good what so ever. Even it was under the flywheel crank nut, I'm not so sure it would work properly, but it's possible.

Nice oil drain plug by the way!

biggrin.gif

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

He has it welded to the hub.

thedeatons

#10 Post by thedeatons »

I am nearly positive gearing is not the issue... The issue is braking in the air and/or accelerating in the air. The only ones I have seen with the local Dalers was caused when the riders were doing something in the air, typically jumping bigger than before and needing to correct with throttle/braking. The raitos in the group mentioned vary tremendously... I am planning to report soon on welding the pins on our Boomer-modded flywheels....