The X pipe

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

Latest results.Version 2.Looking good biggrin.gif
Same trail ready pump gas setup as last test.Latest runs are in new zip file below.

[attachment=3204:X2_pipe.jpg]
[attachment=3207:trail_motor.zip]

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

Couple pics of X2
[attachment=3205:X2Pipe.jpg]
[attachment=3206:X2Pipe_004.jpg]

Speed 1B

#13 Post by Speed 1B »

Out of curiosity, what was changed from the X1 to the X2?

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

X1 had that goofy s bend right before silencer.Thats straight and the restriction I had circled is gone now.

dalewannbe

#15 Post by dalewannbe »

Nice progress, got any other changes in mind?

T-Rex

#16 Post by T-Rex »

Wistech put the cheetos down and make an exhaust that fly's.....

cannondale27

#17 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (dalewannbe @ Apr 12 2007, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice progress, got any other changes in mind?

Yes I want to try maximum size fittable on head pipes and figure out how to make one gradualbend rather than the two that are right out of head to clear shock.WIll require a whole new pipe though since this one has met all goals specified.Saving some $ for that job.

wistech

#18 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (T-Rex @ Apr 14 2007, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wistech put the cheetos down and make an exhaust that fly's.....

YA Ya I am confident from the dyno tests that the moto can be beat by a couple of Hp . The parts are here. Just need some time to get to it. I hope to have the 460 dyno motor updated with the new cam and pipe to at least go for 60hp . Id be willing to bet 75 is doable with the juice. Wouldnt that be something on a stock crank .My god the rpm ohmy.gif

Speed 1B

#19 Post by Speed 1B »

Hey 27, Those big tubes that you gave to Tim are gonna be used on a exhaust hopefully this week and dynoed in a couple weeks. My dad builds exhaust for cars and trucks and he is gonna try and get them to work.

The problem is trying to get pipe slid over those tubes becasue they touch coming right off the head. We dont have a mandrel bender, only a regular exhaust tubing bender so we cant bend high grade stainless like 304 which would be ideal for this project. The minimum wall thickness we can bend is 14 guage which also makes it harder to work with. A mandrel bender gives nice curvey bends where as our bender can only bend 409 stainless and the bends dont look as pretty. The function will most definately be there but it could definately be built lighter and better looking by a regular exhaust manufacturer.
(Cobradalers duals were built out of the same tubing and it appears with a similar bender to what we will be using, for comparisons sake.)

He thinks he has an idea and can get somthing to work. He is also gonna build one that uses the stock size tubes as well. Both will be dual exhaust but built differently than the previous duals we tested. Wich ever one produces the most horsepower is headed to jet-hot for some coating and goin on the drag bike. Then ill have him build another set and maybe we can send it to someone and get them made out of 304 with a minimum order.

T-Rex

#20 Post by T-Rex »

QUOTE (Speed 1B @ Apr 15 2007, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey 27, Those big tubes that you gave to Tim are gonna be used on a exhaust hopefully this week and dynoed in a couple weeks. My dad builds exhaust for cars and trucks and he is gonna try and get them to work.

The problem is trying to get pipe slid over those tubes becasue they touch coming right off the head. We dont have a mandrel bender, only a regular exhaust tubing bender so we cant bend high grade stainless like 304 which would be ideal for this project. The minimum wall thickness we can bend is 14 guage which also makes it harder to work with. A mandrel bender gives nice curvey bends where as our bender can only bend 409 stainless and the bends dont look as pretty. The function will most definately be there but it could definately be built lighter and better looking by a regular exhaust manufacturer.
(Cobradalers duals were built out of the same tubing and it appears with a similar bender to what we will be using, for comparisons sake.)

He thinks he has an idea and can get somthing to work. He is also gonna build one that uses the stock size tubes as well. Both will be dual exhaust but built differently than the previous duals we tested. Wich ever one produces the most horsepower is headed to jet-hot for some coating and goin on the drag bike. Then ill have him build another set and maybe we can send it to someone and get them made out of 304 with a minimum order.

**** ya, sounds like a plan. Just for shits and grins what about coming out about six inches from the head pipe and stepping up in the tube size for increasing torque??? This works on just about all other quads...