New flywheels`- need input and help

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#61 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (peterock @ Jul 8 2007, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Main bearing would be a likely explanation in a situation like mine where there hasn't been a problem and now just like that it goes.

A problem with balance and Harmonics it could create wouldnt happen all at once it is something that weakens the part until failure occurs.

Look at many of the flywheels.Some have 1,2,3 or no balance holes.Just seems odd.

cannondale27

#62 Post by cannondale27 »

Are these wieghts or something else in the VOR version?

wayneschofield

#63 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jul 8 2007, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know guys it could be just a bunch of little things adding up to this failure.

Taper being made wrong-Lap it in
Balance-Are they all balanced same?If not wont match balance of cranks.Get flywheel balanced.
Mainbearing-Is it good?
Torque-I use a electric impact and red Loctite.Is 35ftlbs as recommended too much?

I'm really very sure it's a torsional vibration thing causing the flywheel failures, having looked at failure modes, the design and read explanations from several parties, it's the only thing that fully adds up to me....
If the wheel has just spun on the shaft it either wasn't a good fit (needed lapping in) or wasn't fitted properly (not tight or wasn't warmed prior to fitting to ensure additional grip on fitting) or maybe came loose (use one of C'Boomer's washers).

Let's face it anyway, the stock flywheels are pants and best discarded completely....

wayneschofield

#64 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Jul 8 2007, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yo Wayne,...yep, the magnet ring will be a challenge, with some trial and error. But it's also an opportunity.... please consider to enhance the magnetic field, rather than just matching it. In collaboration with TrailTech here about increasing our stator output, they claim the flywheel magnet is the limiting factor. With today's magnets, it may be reasonable to go even lighter in magnet weight while achieving more output. To have a complete replacement flywheel would be great, and particularly if we can get more stator output at the same time.

I get what you're saying and this is a convo I had already with C27 actually..... I have looked at stronger types but the problem with some of them is the temperature they will repeatadly stand before degradation of strength (typically only 60 degC). I just don't know how hot they get in service. For the moment I am having the flywheels done with stock magnets and, if they prove to be the complete solution with regards reliability, I can look at increasing the magnet strength afterwards. It will be easy to alter the design to accomodate a revised magnet later on.

I figured that most of the guys having flywheel problems will be the racers who are using higher revs more of the time, and they don't tend to have lights on them so could manage with the output we have at the moment.

One thing at a time with any given fix I feel....

Besides, I am getting close to twenty-grand into these 'fixes' already and I only set out to make my own quads completely reliable! It's just that everything is cheaper in quantity, so quantity I have bought! I hope someone else out there will want some of what I have had made or I'll have some very expensive ornaments! It's not that I'm running out of money it's just that it does seem to have run away with itself.... I guess this sort of thing is what sunk C'Dale....
Ah well....

Canniboomer

#65 Post by Canniboomer »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jul 8 2007, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are these weights or something else in the VOR version?

Those are open holes for using a flywheel holder. Here's a similar SEM for a Husky:

thedeatons

#66 Post by thedeatons »

Hey Wayne.... There is interest... Just get ahold of me!

peterock

#67 Post by peterock »

fly wheel holder.............now that would be nice.

WJR

#68 Post by WJR »

What about mounting the stator to the flyhweel cover and using a flywheel that is open outwards, not inwards. Then you could have a less of a snout. I didn't think of this and I can't remember where I heard of it....

WJR

cannondale27

#69 Post by cannondale27 »

It would be alot more work but it sure seems to be the norm for most 4strokes.Here is LTR flywheel.It is one piece steel but does have gear bolted to it so I am not sure if that gives it strength or not.
[attachment=4123:LTR_Flywheel.jpg][attachment=4124:ltr_stator.jpg]

joedirt

#70 Post by joedirt »

Maybe some of these parts will work.
http://vertemati.netsons.org/en/gallery/componenti/1/