Lightweight flywheels...

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wayneschofield

#1 Post by wayneschofield »

I set to on the lathe this afternoon to take some weight off and see where it got me.

Well, now it is 20% lighter than a stock one, or should I say a stock one is 25% heavier than this one....? (no magnets in either at this point of course)

If the magnets that we end up using ultimately have the same OD as, or smaller than, the stock one I should be able to shave quite a bit more weight off too. As it is, this lightened flywheel can still take a magnet with an OD of 106mm, yet the stock OD is just under 102mm. So 2mm+ could be taken from much of the periphery with a stock magnet installed. smile.gif

claas900

#2 Post by claas900 »

Sold !!! ill take one

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

This is going to be FUN!

wayneschofield

#4 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Aug 6 2007, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sold !!! ill take one

Let me actually finish some first.........

Seriously though, I could use some definite 'promises to buy' from all those interested in both heavy and light flywheels to give me as good an idea as possible about quantities..... firm promises though, not just casual "I want one"s.....

I can't really afford to have lots unsold, but I won't get a good price unless I buy lots at once....

The magnet issue isn't properly resolved yet and we need to see how 'Derno' gets on testing the one he's getting at the weekend....

claas900

#5 Post by claas900 »

When your ready to make a large order, start a post to get a count and a down payment is a MUST!!!

Happyboy

#6 Post by Happyboy »

Definately take deposits wayne. And if you would like, we (the site) can take the deposits and hold them for you if you like. I know I am in for 1 and depending on the price, maybe 2. A lighter one would be very cool for my dragster. Mmmm....making me happy!

wanablaze

#7 Post by wanablaze »

I'd be willing to put a deposit down for one. If they work as intended, I would also buy a second for my father's ATV.

thedeatons

#8 Post by thedeatons »

As soon as a car sells here you will have my deposit. I think cdsracer will be following shortly after....

cdsracer

#9 Post by cdsracer »

Yes, put me down for two (lightweight).

I plan to purchase more later.

kdeal

#10 Post by kdeal »

Guys,

Wayne let the cat out of the bag, as I was going to wait until after the race to announce official results of the test. Wayne has generously agreed to lend a prototype flywheel to the 6 hour race bike this weekend for some serious R&D. It will be evaluated again after the race with some results posted for everyone to see. We actually lucked out a little as Wayne did not have time to fully machine all the weight he wanted to off the flywheel and this one is a little heavier (perfect for cross-country). Our only worry is to make sure we are geared right to take advantage of the difference. Wayne also gave a specific set of instructions on how he wanted it installed. So, I do not see any down side to this at all. I think the only worry at this point is to make sure the magnets hold up that were reattatched to this flywheel. This sure beats the options of carrying tools and a spare flywheel out on the trail to replace a spun flywheel! The motor in question is a Falicon stroker equipped motor with no noticable additional vibration, but has spun two flywheels in less than 10 hours of ride time. I got involved because Ron wanted me to pin his new flywheel to give it a chance. As previous R&D has now proven, pinning them has not been successful except in lower HP applications only (and then did it really need it). Although my pinned flywheel did make it thru a normal cross-country race a few weeks ago (dumb luck is my guess). So, without Ron's knowledge I spoke with Wayne to offer this race as a test of integrity of his new flywheels. Wayne is not profitting on this and Ron did not know I was doing this until it was already a done deal. So, please be patient as I have faith this will work and I am sure Wayne will take care of us on this if it works out as planned. Remember we still have to work out a magnet for each new flywheel so if you spin one please hang on to it for the moment for placement in the new one. I would be willing to start collecting these for him if everything works out and ship them over to him. Wish Derno luck in his quest this weekend for the gold!

GOOD LUCK DERNO & LONG LIVE TEAM CANNONDALE!