Lightweight flywheels...

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
Canniboomer

#11 Post by Canniboomer »

I already had sent 5 (spun) flywheels off to the UK last week -- they should be arriving over there soon. I am trying to collect more, just in case we need to continue using the stock magnets. Yes, please save your old spun flywheels.

wayneschofield

#12 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Aug 7 2007, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys,

Wayne let the cat out of the bag, as I was going to wait until after the race to announce official results of the test.

Ah..... I didn't know it was a surprise for him..... I am what we call in the UK a 'Gobshite' then.....

It's just there were so many people showing interest and I got carried away......

wayneschofield

#13 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Aug 7 2007, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I already had sent 5 (spun) flywheels off to the UK last week -- they should be arriving over there soon. I am trying to collect more, just in case we need to continue using the stock magnets. Yes, please save your old spun flywheels.

Top Banana!

I look forward to their arrival.....

wayneschofield

#14 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Aug 7 2007, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys,

I think the only worry at this point is to make sure the magnets hold up that were reattatched to this flywheel.

I'm pretty sure they'll be fine to be honest. They were real fun to get in so I don't expect they'll fall out too quick.....

kdeal

#15 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (Wayne Schofield @ Aug 7 2007, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah..... I didn't know it was a surprise for him..... I am what we call in the UK a 'Gobshite' then.....

It's just there were so many people showing interest and I got carried away......

Not a surprise to Derno as I told him after we communicated. I was thinking if we had a set-back (not anticipated) that it would be better to wait until after the race to say we had done it. I think this will be the ultimate test, as we have a bike that has had flywheel problems before and 6 hours straight is a good test for any part. I also didn't want members to think I was special to get the first one (Derno is special, he is taking medication for it though!!LOL). It was just an opportunity to test for the group and if all works like I think it will, I would start thinking about what you want to get for these as it should be a hot item for a while.

Thanks again,
Ken

wayneschofield

#16 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Aug 7 2007, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also didn't want members to think I was special to get the first one ......

From my end it was the best thing to do....

Six hours on a motor that has had a history of problems, and thus would be likely to show up any weakness with the new design.

Add to that the fact that it is out as soon as this weekend so I could not have hoped for a test any sooner, nor could I have had a flywheel ready to test in time....

I doubt, and hope, that no-one would sulk that you got one first as the earliest test is for the common good of all.

He should have it in a few hours from now.....

Good luck Derno!!!

cannondale27

#17 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes good luck Derno!Sure will be nice to put this flywheel issue to bed hopefully.Will also be nice for those of us who want to try less wieght.Only issue I have with Derno riding is we wont get his awesome live race reports.Must be someone there who can keep us updated.His 12hr last year kept me on the edge of my seat whole time!

kdeal

#18 Post by kdeal »

Steve,

Let's see what we can work out. Maybe someone with him can give live race reports.

wanablaze

#19 Post by wanablaze »

Good luck, Derno! Can't wait to read the report!

Derno24

#20 Post by Derno24 »

Just so you guys know the new rules are putting a slight wrinkle in our plans. Basically it allows us to use more than one quad. The fastest rider of the 3 of us wants to start on his honda then we will switch after his turn and use the Dale the rest of the way out. So it won't be 6 hrs more like 5 hrs. His thought was run as fast as he can on the quad he is most comfortable on then blast off on the Dale from there out.

My team mates are extremely fast and want to make this happen on the dale we just haven't had the time to get everyone fully comfortable on it yet.

I will also work on reporting from the track, but I have been there before and cell reception is spotty. I will have pics and a helmet cam video too.