Wayne Schofield Spun Flywheel

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#21 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes that was the guy.CWR.

thedeatons

#22 Post by thedeatons »

Fortunately I missed out on that deal too...

So, do you think that een if they went by original Cannondale spec for the cams, they would be risky?

wayneschofield

#23 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jul 25 2008, 02:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Class900 would you want to run with the uncut flywheel I have from Wayne?It is a risk to crank since it is really heavy.But I did run a Oval race with it and some.If so PM me your info and will send it to you right away.

If you were to turn the spigot off the outer face it would remove the stress raiser in the corner. The extra bit on there was mainly to give plenty of threads for the puller to engage into.

You could narrow the teeth (axially) and machine the root of the teeth deeper to further lighten it after taking the rim off.

claas900

#24 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (Wayne Schofield @ Jul 26 2008, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you were to turn the spigot off the outer face it would remove the stress raiser in the corner. The extra bit on there was mainly to give plenty of threads for the puller to engage into.

You could narrow the teeth (axially) and machine the root of the teeth deeper to further lighten it after taking the rim off.

Thats a good idea,thats something id be willing to try again.

cannondale27

#25 Post by cannondale27 »

I can send it back to you for modding Wayne.Just PM me your address.

thedeatons

#26 Post by thedeatons »

I have a theory about this, but not sure... Basically about some of the flywheel issues. I'm just wondering what maps the major spinners are using? My theory did not work on Cdsracer, as he is using a modified Moto map, but maybe it will help someone else.

We have been talking about engine braking on daler a lot, and how the fueling map affects that. My thought is that since so many flywheels are spinning when hitting the back brake in the air (to correct the pitch of the quad), it can somewhat be contributed to the engine suddenly stopping or slowing rotation, then the outer rim of the flywheel spins on the inner hub.

If that is what is happening on some of these flywheels, then it makes me wonder whether any of the "spinners" have a lot of engine braking dialed into their fueling map. It also makes me wonder whether any of the internet downloadable maps have inadvertent engine braking built into them.

Sudden engine braking would cause the same effect on the flywheel, a sudden reduction in rotation....

Thoughts?

UpsMan

#27 Post by UpsMan »

Tapping brakes in mid-air is done with the clutch pulled in, so the engine is not changing rpm. If you have ever killed your motor mid-air and landed like that, you know that is not good at all. I think with all the forces a flywheel would go through, your riding technique would have very little to do with it. (although, I could see going from 10,000 rpm to zero almost instantly would put some strain on things) I would sooner suspect vibrations of some kind.

cannondale27

#28 Post by cannondale27 »

Whatever it is its massive force and is at its worst in the sand.I know when I rode the dunes I had huge traction lots of load on motor.Maybe its all the full throttle and then even just letting off killing these.Would be interesting to see if a rekluse or slipper clutch would help.

thedeatons

#29 Post by thedeatons »

Slipper clutch is a great idea....

Yeah, it was just a thought....

The thought does make me want to dig into the downloadable maps and see if the engine braking area of the map has been adjusted....