The hydro lock issue?

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
NRath

#11 Post by NRath »

Originally posted by cdalerider75
Say.... what is [B]Hydrolock ? I love learning about new and old issues.. perhaps this has happened to me but since I don't know what Hydrolock is, I wouldn't know if it happened to me. [/B]

If it had happened, you'd know it! What Wistech is referring to happens when the cylinder gets filled with oil to the point the piston can't get up to Top Dead Center. Since fluids are non-compressible and the piston can't go up any further, the motor will appear to be locked up. Typically, once you drain the oil out the spark plug hole and smoke up your yard real good, the motor will run fine. Till the next time your engine sits and the cylinder fills with oil agin, anyway. The culprit is the check ball in the oil pump that is supposed to keep the oil in the spars when the motors not running.

comander420

#12 Post by comander420 »

or you can barley overfill the oil and it will happen too

BM426Racer

#13 Post by BM426Racer »

Would it be feasible to remove the check ball and run an out side motor line with removable check ball valve. I havent run into this problem yet on my bike, just taking a stab at it.

wistech

#14 Post by wistech »

Thats what I was suggesting. I have some small valves that could fit in the inlet fiitingf from the frame with a little modding. Then you could just install it and ride. lots of design and testing work though to make sure its safe to use.

cannondale27

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

Send it over.I have a old oil pump that I will remove the checkball from.And add yours to line.Has anyone taken pics of checkball passage?How many fractions of P.S.I. does it take to disengage current checkball would be better to come up with a bench test to do a comparasin of the two valves.How about using a regulated aquarium pump?Is there a guage that is capable of measuring that small or do we make one?

Canniboomer

#16 Post by Canniboomer »

how about a quart of dirty spar oil, set about 12 inches of head above valve at that same angle, and see how much, if any, leaks on your clean garage floor!

yep, if we can get it to open at less suction, less restriction, then in theory we would boost engine oil pressure by same amount.
That would be a great side-effect, just dreaming for now.rolleyes.gif

cannondale27

#17 Post by cannondale27 »

It would not increase pressure since amount needed to open checkball would have to be less than actual pump created pressure.Most oil pumps of this size and use make 50psi at the pump.Dont know where Cannondale got their pressure readings from I thought it was fitting on filter cover.

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

Checkball
Since scavenger pump and rate it pumps at determines how much oil is put into frame.Checkball and rate main pump pumps determines how much is taken out of frame.Ideally we would not upset this balance.

cannondale27

#19 Post by cannondale27 »

I am not sure which is the actual checkball we are talking about since air goes right through the oil inlet with or without cover and filter base on.Will have to map the oil flow through pump.But there is definitly two checkballs.

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

Boy I have whole pump and filter assy in my hands and I have no idea how this works!Help!