Cryogenic treatments.

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

Looks like reliable cams are next thing to find.Supplies of the FX ones must be almost gone by now.

T-Rex

Cryogenics

#12 Post by T-Rex »

Craycraft Racing has been treating Raptor tranny gears for years and they have lasted a long time. Its one of the cheapest form of insurance anyone could do towards there engine. I will be treating my cams and buckets thats for sure.

claas900

Re: Cryogenics

#13 Post by claas900 »

Originally posted by T-Rex
Craycraft Racing has been treating Raptor tranny gears for years and they have lasted a long time. Its one of the cheapest form of insurance anyone could do towards there engine. I will be treating my cams and buckets thats for sure.

..Do you know who Craycraft uses do the treating?

T-Rex

Contact

#14 Post by T-Rex »

The guys name is Paul, here is his phone number 612-201-1474. Very nice people to deal with.

Theres another one at www.subzerocryo.com

timbomoose

#15 Post by timbomoose »

Went to heattreaters to check into getting cams and bucket cryoed and hit a dead end.To sum it up they told me "not to waste my money".They said will do little if anything for this aplication as being an unknown material, case hardened, and already finished ground there's not much you can do to improve accept for make new ones.They said the probable cause of some wearing out fast was due to a bad material or more than likely not being hard enough from either bad heatreat or hardness gone in some areas from the grinding process.Also brought some bad cams in and for hardness test. Rockwell varied greatly just as was suspectled. It varied from 42-54 rc average was about 45-46rc one lobe checked 60rc,(c-scale).Did not check a new or good set due to would wreck the cam lobes by checking.Altough cryogenics won't really help us out for the cams they did say it works wonders in the right application with the right materials and during the heatreat process.Its nice to know there are good businesses out there that are willing to help you out and not just worried about making a buck.Oh place was peter's heat treat in erie and meadville pa. No wonder why all the tool&die and other shops use a trust their services.

T-Rex

Coatings

#16 Post by T-Rex »

Great info Tim. Maybe the next direction could be performance coating. I think there are hard face coatings avaliable. Just a thought...smile.gif

aroracer72

#17 Post by aroracer72 »

My firned has cranks and otehr dirtbike parts go through this process. His motors have never come apart until he decides to rebuild on his own. He gets rods, crank halves, bearings, piston, and tranny parts all done. It makes a great improvement, only thing it wont help a ton is forged parts that are spimple, but if soemthing was machined or cast, or anything like that then there is room for the ehat to have imperfected the metal slightly..and this process corrects all the imperfections..really neat.
CHAD

fyrmedic

#18 Post by fyrmedic »

I had my whole top end done on my 400ex at a place called cryocon in ogden, utah. I am very happy with it.