New valve buckets.

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
T-Rex

#11 Post by T-Rex »

I polish and ported his cylinder head, bigger carb, exhaust, and all it does now is fly untill it hits the rev limiter. It hits it very often. I advised him to install the DRZ valve springs and invest in a after market cdi box.

wistech

Re: Buckets

#12 Post by wistech »

Originally posted by T-Rex
I would stay away from the Z400 buckets just because I have a freind that has one and within 10 hours of use one of the exhaust buckets started showing ware in the center where the cam lobe contacts. Also remember that the Z400 is a single valve spring set up and the rev limiter is set at 7800rpm.
The busa sounds like a much better idea.....biggrin.gif

The busa and z400 valve buckets are the same part number.

T-Rex

#13 Post by T-Rex »

Well then good luck:eek:

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

The wear in center of bucket is from the valves floating.I am not concerned about our stock buckets since any that were wore it was from valve float.I agree also that just because they work in a Z400 or even a Hayabusa doesnt mean they will work in ours.Since whole valvetrain is different.
The cams however we dont have a firm number as far as hardness required.Need to check both buckets and cams since hardness of one deterimines hardness of other.You would not want both to be the same hardness.

T-Rex

#15 Post by T-Rex »

I agree, also I have read that the Polaris Predator valve train is week also. There are several companies that offer hardened valve buckets at $50 each. I do not know what kind of material they are made out of.
Has anyone had luck just having the stock Cannondale buckets cyro treated?

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

We are thinking stock buckets are hardchrome plated.According to the heatreat guy Timbo works with(also cryo's the crankpins)cryo wont help the wear seen on cams and buckets.
This isnt a huge problem since there are known causes of failures.Really I think those should be corrected and then see if stock cams last.I think most will.Only clincher in there is if some of the stock cams werent hardened correctly.It looks like there may be some out there that arent hardened right.

wistech

#17 Post by wistech »

Thats what R@D is all about. Ive got a few busa buckets coming and will try 2 of each in the same head kitty corner from each other to see how they hold up against the stockers.

wistech

#18 Post by wistech »

This might be the biggest chalange for us because of all the variables. Cam quality,rev limit,spring pressure variances,bucket hardness ect. al have an effect. The biggest problem is like the crank it might take well over a year to see if anything we do will be a step in the right direction.

cannondale27

#19 Post by cannondale27 »

You know there are places that have valvetrain dyno's.That would be ticket to do some accelerated testing.

T-Rex

#20 Post by T-Rex »

This is what I am going to try when I get my engine tore down and updated with Timbo's stroker crank. I am going to dry film coat both the intake and exhaust cams.

Also Craycraft racing has been using a hard face coatings on the Raptor rocker arms because of wear and they have been having good luck with it.