Custom flywheel ?

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

Wow I like!

Idahocannibal

#12 Post by Idahocannibal »

That looks good Wistech, here is a picture of the one that I had beefed up. It doesn't look as nice but it lasted so far, the little I have got to ride it.

wistech

#13 Post by wistech »

Hey whatever works. Im less concerned about running out of flywheels as having it spin in the middle of nowhere. Good job.

USAMoto00

#14 Post by USAMoto00 »

QUOTE (wistech @ Oct 4 2006, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey whatever works. Im less concerned about running out of flywheels as having it spin in the middle of nowhere. Good job.

Amen! I would hate to be approaching a big double and the quad just die on me out of nowhere. I'll be watching this project closely. Please keep us updated.

promod

#15 Post by promod »

What part of the flywheel is failing? Is it spining the splines out of it or is it cracking apart?

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

Mostly spinning but some cracks also.

jesshamner

#17 Post by jesshamner »

Do they even have splines? I know that its just a woodruff key that holds the whole thing in place, but the part that is spinning doesn't have anything there to hold it. Is the pinning of the flywheel not working?

promod

#18 Post by promod »

Just wondering. I'm not sure if this helps or not, just throwing it out there. On some of the high power cars we build we had to start double pinning the cams and on the 4.6L motors with cog blower set-ups we machine in two key ways on the crank. Not sure if this will apply to this application or not. Some of the other cool things we do is on some of the the gears in Jericos and certain engine parts we send them out to get Cryro-REM'ed. Once I get the baseline numbers down on my junk, I going to do a big cc thumper motor (don't know who yet)and was wondering about this problem. Anyways, just thought I'd put my two cents in on the subject.

Later cool.gif

After looking at the flywheel some more. Cracks? Has anyone spun a flywheel up on a balancer of some sort? Cracking (if I'm not mistaken) would be cause by an imbalance, engine harmonic es, or from shear acceleration rate (trying to separate from center). I could be wrong though.

wistech

#19 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (promod @ Oct 10 2006, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wondering. I'm not sure if this helps or not, just throwing it out there. On some of the high power cars we build we had to start double pinning the cams and on the 4.6L motors with cog blower set-ups we machine in two key ways on the crank. Not sure if this will apply to this application or not. Some of the other cool things we do is on some of the the gears in Jericos and certain engine parts we send them out to get Cryro-REM'ed. Once I get the baseline numbers down on my junk, I going to do a big cc thumper motor (don't know who yet)and was wondering about this problem. Anyways, just thought I'd put my two cents in on the subject.

Later cool.gif

After looking at the flywheel some more. Cracks? Has anyone spun a flywheel up on a balancer of some sort? Cracking (if I'm not mistaken) would be cause by an imbalance, engine harmonic es, or from shear acceleration rate (trying to separate from center). I could be wrong though.

Pinning the flywheels seemed to ok for stock motors but the real high output strokers can rip the hub right out of the aluminum in just a couple races. The problem is the small gear cast into the center hub has way to small of teeth on them and they are not bondd to the center hub so eventually the teeth will beat the aluminum out and spin. If the gear was about an inch bigger around it might have never been an issue. Its just asking to much from a small amount of casting.

promod

#20 Post by promod »

QUOTE (wistech @ Oct 10 2006, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pinning the flywheels seemed to ok for stock motors but the real high output strokers can rip the hub right out of the aluminum in just a couple races. The problem is the small gear cast into the center hub has way to small of teeth on them and they are not bondd to the center hub so eventually the teeth will beat the aluminum out and spin. If the gear was about an inch bigger around it might have never been an issue. Its just asking to much from a small amount of casting.

10-4. Just throwing ideas around. Is this an issue with all stroker's no matter how you treat them or only when you beat on them?

Have ya'll looked into Cryro treating? or just due to the size it would not matter...I'll have to look at one to understand a little more.