Custom stators

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
polyesterpig

#11 Post by polyesterpig »

You could use "rare earth magnets" like trailtech does on their flywheels. This would bump up the power. http://trailtech.net/store/motorcycle_flywheels.html

mike justice

#12 Post by mike justice »

QUOTE (polyesterpig @ Dec 15 2006, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You could use "rare earth magnets" like trailtech does on their flywheels. This would bump up the power. http://trailtech.net/store/motorcycle_flywheels.html

What do you use to insulate the winding from the core.I have a ststor that is grounded to core?I `ve been having battery running down at times,thought it was battery,but found windings loose around core,you can shake stator and it will show ground on 2 phases,if you hold it still,shows clear.The weird thing was it was showing good voltage when on machine with engine running.I was checking windings with ohm meter before i put in new battery is only reason i found this. I was reading 2.5 ohms between 2 phases and 0 on other phases.I took stator off and cut harness close to stator and found it wasnt the harness. This cannondale is driving me wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif

wistech

#13 Post by wistech »

The metal core has a epoxy coating on it . The wires themselves are also coated with a clear epoxy resin. If they are damaged from heat or physical damage they will short to ground and cause the stator to not work at all. The issue with parts like these is if there is a break or short anywhere in the winding it almost impossible to get at it to repair or even find the exact location of the short. Hence a full rewire is in order. If the flywheel is extremely close and rubing on the stator crank endplay while the engine is running will cause intermittant charging because the flywheel is walking side to side a few thousanths.

wistech

#14 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (haydug @ Dec 15 2006, 07:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought Happyboy had already worked something out with Ricky Stator to do this?

What ever became of that? Did they do any ? What happened to that bike stator I sent you. Do you remember if it was a 2 or 3 wire. Was that the one he said was maxed out or did he get a quad stator as well? I just got some bike stators that are epoxy encapsulated instead of coated. Those seem the way to go .

Happyboy

#15 Post by Happyboy »

They did 1 as a prototype and it worked fine. They were ready to go do a batch of them but at the time noone seemed to want to get it done. For the price you can just get a used one right now. It was the quad stator that he said was pretty much maxed out. As for the bike stator, I have no clue what happened to it. I guess Ricky kept it.

wistech

#16 Post by wistech »

The old batch production dilema. We know what a pain that is. mellow.gif
Ive had no luck finding good used ones. Most all of the ones Ive aquired need at the least high temp leads and shielding. Many were damaged from hitting the flywheel (crank end play) or careless removal.

speed 450mx

#17 Post by speed 450mx »

I have one that is looks ok but it does not put out enough volts to keep the battery charged with the lights or fan on

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

Hey John here is that post you missed with the double stator and steel flywheel.

http://www.cannondaleriders.com/forums/ind...topic=17828&hl=

wistech

#19 Post by wistech »

I thought you were full of it till I scrolled down the page past the shirts. That looks like an in house design. Did they ever get built? Whats the story on them.

wistech

#20 Post by wistech »

I am going try a 300ex voltage regulator just to see if they will work.