New flywheels`- need input and help

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

A Banshee flywheel is exactly as I described.Bet it handles 100hp easily.Snowmobiles have way more than that and they are same style.There is some companies that make solid steel billet flywheels also.Just though two piece design would be easier to make.Check out link for Billet ones.

http://www.msdpowersports.com/pwc_flywheels.html

Banshee Flywheel stock

NRath

#12 Post by NRath »

Another idea that would probably save some money and R&D would be to reuse some of the spun ones. Maybe mill out the center (after removing the original hub piece) in a square shape leaving a shoulder. Then machine a new hub with a square hub and shoulder that would fit inside the milled outer piece. Epoxy and rivet the two together and bam-o. Then he wouldn't have to mess with magnets or timing sensor.

Just a thought...

cannondale27

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes something like that would work.I think trick is to have hub as far out as possible to lessen leverage on it.Would still like to see it sandwiched also.

claas900

#14 Post by claas900 »

Mjollnir I was talking with a buddy, and we were wondering if it would help if he had the right side of a case. I have a junk one id be more then willing to cut up and send him. We were thinking if he had a right side case, right crank half, flywheel and stator (if someone has a bad one)he could mock up the hole thing and see how it all goes. Might help with some new ideas?

Mjollnir

#15 Post by Mjollnir »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Mar 2 2007, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mjollnir I was talking with a buddy, and we were wondering if it would help if he had the right side of a case. I have a junk one id be more then willing to cut up and send him. We were thinking if he had a right side case, right crank half, flywheel and stator (if someone has a bad one)he could mock up the hole thing and see how it all goes. Might help with some new ideas?

Absolutely, that would be great! I sure can't see how it would hurt! I have a guy in NC who can send a crank, but I'm waiting to see if I can find one more locally first... That would mean I only need a stator to make up the mock-up.

Marc

kdeal

#16 Post by kdeal »

I don't believe the 100hp Banshees are running stock flywheels but I don't ever remember anyone tearing up a flywheel on a Banshee, only sheared flywheel keys & then only a few. On the high hp Banshees, especially those used in the sand they use a reverse flywheel where all the pick-ups are on the outside and the flywheel is only a few inches in diameter and made out of solid aluminum. The weight difference is drastic and the power band is even more of a light switch! I would love to see a single flywheel made of billet steel and one made of billet aluminum. I wouldn't want to do anything but build a stock sized flywheel out of one solid piece of material instead of two, and then cut it to accept the ring and the stator magnets. You could then after fitting everything start shaving weight off of it. Remember one step at a time. If it's one piece we can shave weight off of it. The biggest issue with the stocker is the crappy cast aluminum used to mate with the steel hub. I say take a spun one and remove the entire cast aluminum center part, leaving the steel hub and the outer ring and magnet structure and work from there if you want to try and "save" old flywheels.

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Feb 27 2007, 04:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A Banshee flywheel is exactly as I described.Bet it handles 100hp easily.Snowmobiles have way more than that and they are same style.There is some companies that make solid steel billet flywheels also.Just though two piece design would be easier to make.Check out link for Billet ones.

http://www.msdpowersports.com/pwc_flywheels.html
Banshee Flywheel stock

Mjollnir

#17 Post by Mjollnir »

Feedback I've gotten here is that the flywheel will spin if the hub is made of Aluminum. My thought was that with 7071-T7 or similar hardened Aluminum, it might hold up if it was a light flywheel. What do you guys think?

Marc

wanablaze

#18 Post by wanablaze »

Sounds good. I would think it would make sense to have the center splined so that the outer part would be less likely to slip.

kdeal

#19 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (Mjollnir @ Mar 2 2007, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Feedback I've gotten here is that the flywheel will spin if the hub is made of Aluminum. My thought was that with 7071-T7 or similar hardened Aluminum, it might hold up if it was a light flywheel. What do you guys think?

Marc

Are you looking at just making the center hub? Or are you looking to make the whole flywheel? How can it spin if it's one piece? Unless it will eat up key ways.

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

One solid piece of aluminum I dont think will hold up.Just not enough room to make it strong.Flywheels Kdeal is talking of on some drag Banshees stator is eliminated and they just have a ignition coil like a dirtbike.Its just a chunk of aluminum.We cant do that since stator is there and to meet crank it needs to be thin to fit between stator and crank.