"I don't need no stinkin' dyno!"

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
thedeatons

#11 Post by thedeatons »

This in conjunction with a set of rollers, (maybe even an old pair of treadmills side by side!), could be used to get the AFR set after a build before hitting the trail. You could use the throttle set screw to check the ratio at different throttle percentages...

Easy E

#12 Post by Easy E »

Yes, but how do I explain to the wife why the treadmill is in the garage?? laugh.gif

I did get to use the street by my house for some initial "butt dyno" runs prior to heading out this week. Although it's a bit tough to stare at the AFR meter whilst tearing down the street in 3rd gear. Hardest part is dodging the evil stares from the neighbors!

peterock

#13 Post by peterock »

QUOTE (Easy E @ Jun 8 2008, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, but how do I explain to the wife why the treadmill is in the garage?? laugh.gif

Has to be easier to explain then "why is the quad in the house?"

jinx44

#14 Post by jinx44 »

That is the narrowband meter right? Is the stoich point adjustable on those gauges or is it calibrated for a 14.7 stoich? Remember, pump gas is no longer 14.7 due to the addition of alcohols.

Another option if you want to go to go wideband, is the digital one from autometer. It would work better than that narrow band will, plus I know its can be adjusted for stoich.

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Jun 8 2008, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I finally went with a LM-1 from Innovate.

I'm sorry. LOL I have 2 LM-1s here that are both broken. Neither will read correctly, even with new sensors, recalibrating, and firmware updates. I need to send them back, but there are other things I don't like about the LM1, so I think I will just find a new one to go with. I really like the Zeitronix setups. One reason I am leaning towards it though is the addition of a MAP sensor.

z-mann

#15 Post by z-mann »

My LM-1 seems to work just fine.... Kind of a pain to read it while riding....

claas900

#16 Post by claas900 »

I have the Zeitronix set up. haven't used it much. Riding with a lap top isn't to fun.

Easy E

#17 Post by Easy E »

QUOTE (jinx44 @ Jun 9 2008, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is the narrowband meter right? Is the stoich point adjustable on those gauges or is it calibrated for a 14.7 stoich? Remember, pump gas is no longer 14.7 due to the addition of alcohols.

Yes, it's a narrowband meter. I don't believe the stoichiometric AFR is adjustable - and yes, the 10% Ethanol now pumping at most stations in my area will bring the stoich down to roughly 14.4. I'm actually thinking a swept needle type guage would make reading the AFR more manageable while riding.

Keep in mind this guage is not to set an exact AFR, but to make sure a modded motor is running in a safe range. I've also been interested to see the effect of altitude and various riding conditions on our motors as I ride from the Coastal Dunes at sea level with paddles to 6500 ft trails on knobbies in Central Oregon.

thedeatons

#18 Post by thedeatons »

I was under the impression that Cannondales compensate for altitude changes using the barometric pressure sensor. I believe that value is inputted into the ECU as a factor, and the fuel tables are changed across the rev range accordingly. I have read that is only checked at startup, but regardless, if your hometown is at sea level and you transport your Dale to 4000 ft to ride, the barometric pressure sensor should adjust fueling to achieve the same effect as if you were at sea level... Can anyone confirm this?

Easy E

#19 Post by Easy E »

Deatons, I believe you are correct and have always thought the same myself. Although I've never had any mixture issues at any elevation - you always have to wonder. The AFR meter should confirm this so others who ride at various elevations could rest assured that the ECU is compensating as it should.

67z400

#20 Post by 67z400 »

Wow, nice setup. I would like to try something like this!!!