FLYWHEELS

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wayneschofield

#11 Post by wayneschofield »

I have a revised new, one piece, item on it's way to the 'States now. It's going to get measured up ready for a decent production run, I proposed fifty or so to start with.

Then it's going to be fitted in a motor ridden by someone who breaks them all the time. If it lasts OK with him it will last with anybody.

If it holds up without issues then the production will commence.

Magnets are always going to be the problem, so saving broken flywheels to salvage the magnets from is vital. Expect the flywheels to be on an exchange basis for this reason.

Once again this is simply an exercise to find a solution, not a vehicle for profit, but there's a lot of work in making them so don't go crying about the price (whatever that comes out to be) because they're difficult and time consuming to make, and not because anyone involved is making any money.

NRath

#12 Post by NRath »

That's what I like to hear! I'm not trying to get into the flywheel business, by any means. It's just been a thorn for so long and I was thinking you were out of it. There's very little room for competition in the C'dale business, particularly one little piece like this. If you're doing it, it's for the good of the riders!

Pete, I've thought for a long time that we should replace the hub with a multi-faceted hub, the way SEM should've done it to begin with. The stock hub can be cut out, machine the inside of the remaining piece, and put in a new matching hub. That design can't spin and there would be no stress on the fasteners.

Kuma

#13 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (NRath @ Oct 17 2009, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's what I like to hear! I'm not trying to get into the flywheel business, by any means. It's just been a thorn for so long and I was thinking you were out of it. There's very little room for competition in the C'dale business, particularly one little piece like this. If you're doing it, it's for the good of the riders!

Pete, I've thought for a long time that we should replace the hub with a multi-faceted hub, the way SEM should've done it to begin with. The stock hub can be cut out, machine the inside of the remaining piece, and put in a new matching hub. That design can't spin and there would be no stress on the fasteners.

I think as many people that want to try should keep up the good work. Let's get as many ideas out as we can.
what do you mean by a multi-faceted hub? something like an octigon shapped hub?

Any thoughts of an aluminum hub, one that can be pressed in and welded? the week point may be the keyway.

I do like the looks of Wayne's one peice steel flywheel, I can't imagine there would be anyway that could spin once it is established a group buy would be in order. maybe someone with CNC capabilities could get these done at a pretty low cost.

peterock

#14 Post by peterock »

I think ultimately what ever is done has to be done in a matter that it doesn't really on parts or pieces from the stock flywheels. I would like to see Wayne's idea taken to the next step with the magnets so we don't need our current magnets.

wayneschofield

#15 Post by wayneschofield »

It can be done, completely new magnets I mean, but the company I enquired with were talking ????10,000 for the tooling, which would make them silly expensive over the number of units we are talking.

Releasing the magnets is a PITA but it's less of one than earning a spare ????10k.

The new ones will be CNC'd, but there are still several operations to perform and 'sets' to make while doing them, it all takes time.

It may be possible to have them sintered in a material that can, itself, be magnetised. In volume this may be cheaper still but I simply don't know anyone in that industry or whether a material that can be sintered and magnetised would take the stresses of the task at hand.

peterock

#16 Post by peterock »

What about contacting the original manufacturer ????

wayneschofield

#17 Post by wayneschofield »

Did that already. SEM, who are part of the Swedish Opcon group, made them and I did speak to them quite a while ago.

They said they make magnets to the size they required in large batches. They weren't prepared to sell us the magnets on their own, as they didn't have any separate in stock and wouldn't be making any more, but they do have some stock of standard flywheels if we want them.

I should have their number somewhere if anyone wants to try them again.

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

Okay guys I have been thinking about this.Here are a few thoughts I came up with:

No big Name runs a flywheel anything like ours.

Any with internal stator such as we have are much beefier like close to a 1/4in steel plate used to hold hub to it.That means wieght which we dont want.

All lighter wieght fly wheels are wet(run in oil) and are reverse design with stator on the flywheel cover.This puts the forces on the hub closer to the centerline of the crank meaning less force.

How about a slipper clutch?Would it help?What about adding a one-way bearing to the flywheel or a small clutch?

wayneschofield

#19 Post by wayneschofield »

Well there's a revised design flywheel on its way over the salty pond just now......

It came out a few grams lighter overall than stock, but will have less inertia since more of the mass is in the centre.

When I get five I'll part the magnets from the flywheels I have here ready for installing in the new ones when they're ready (assuming the new one tests OK).

They're going to have to be done on an exchange basis to ensure a supply of fresh magnets in future so please keep your broken wheels (if the magnet is undamaged) and if you have any spare broken ones that you don't want they would be welcome 'donations to the cause'.....

MX Quad Dad

#20 Post by MX Quad Dad »

OK, I think I mentioned this before. I had a mid 70's GT250 which had the stator around a rotor with magnets. I'm not sure how much it put out. but it seems it may be easy to fit into the same area as our flywheels then all you would need is a washer type piece to cut the timming notches in and bolt it to the rotor.