Its time for crank updates

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

Timbomoose Crank

#121 Post by cannondale27 »

Nestled nicely in my racer motor sits the famous Timbomoose crank.Seperate Timbopin,Z400 rodbearing,Shaved 03 crank and the work of art we call the Timborod.Should be running tomorrow.

cannondale27

#122 Post by cannondale27 »

I also am adding magnets wherever I can thats safe.Here is a big one.

bknight

#123 Post by bknight »

tongue.gif man 27 you work fast smile.gif
im holping to have mine runing to this week end.
ran into some prob this week slow me down :mad:
as soon as i can ill update you all

Big Dog

#124 Post by Big Dog »

How are you attaching the magnets? epoxy?

wistech

#125 Post by wistech »

When attaching magnets you can use rubberized silicone but make darn sure both surfaces are cleaned with brake cleaner and perfectly dry.

cannondale27

#126 Post by cannondale27 »

I used JB Weld.Running great now and first oil change no metal chips so either my frame flush worked well or magnets are doing their job.

bknight

bike

#127 Post by bknight »

Well everyone I got the motor put in the bike. I finnally got it to start took long enough smoke a flying out of the exhaust but it finally cleared out. The first thing I noticed is the quieter motor noise smile.gif.

Today I took it for a hour or so ride at the dunes, it was cold and windy and alittle misty. I got the flag on went to start it, it took about 4 stabs with the starter button, I let it warm up, I stabbed it in gear went to take off it stalled and refused to start for awhile, I say a good 3 mins, then it started.

Performance- I noticed alot of power increase with top end on my 2mm stroker. The power delivery was smoothe, not hard hitting the way it was before, credit goes to a change in the mapping.

All in all I belive this z400 bearing is the way to go, with timbos crank,rod and pin. So far 3 hours of use not problems yet.
thanks again timbo

cannondale27

#128 Post by cannondale27 »

Way to go bknight:clap:

wistech

#129 Post by wistech »

Get a little carried away with the assembly lube bknight. LOL

I usually just get fireballs out the exhaust . There pretty.

I pulled a new ATK crank apart and allthough it still had the same bearing in it a different coating was applied to the cage. Kind of makes me wonder if the crank manufacturer figured they had a problem and was trying to do something about it.

wistech

#130 Post by wistech »

Here is a crank someone sent me. It has a very small crack eminating from the center of the web to about a quarter inch into the thrust surface that the rod slides against. Im not sure if this crank half is usable or not . I will let my rebuilder decide. This is an extreme close up. I blackened out the rest of the surface and took the picture through a magnifying glass at 5 power on my camera. It looks like the whole surface has a slight degree of rough cracking. It should be glassy smooth. Any one else seen this before?