Its time for crank updates

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
Brad77

#131 Post by Brad77 »

Wow do you take those pics with a camera or a microscope?

Brad Oakley

#132 Post by Brad Oakley »

You may love him, or you may hate him... but either way, Wade Wilcox knows his stuff. He has always been a believer in looking at things VERY carefully. His shop has a number of devices for magnifying the parts he works with. Wistech is again proving that we should all be observant when working on our 'Dales.

Excellent work:clap: :clap: :clap:

wistech

#133 Post by wistech »

Why thanks Brad. I took about 50 shots to get that pic. The lighting is tough to deal with when taking pics of shiny metal parts.

Heres a good one. This crank bearing ground up the cage and spit it almost completly into the sump. Only what is left on the towel was still in the rod. There is just a couple of pieces left of the cage. The rollers all packed to one side. The piston was smacking the head for who knows how long.

wistech

#134 Post by wistech »

Heres the rod. The one spot that got the downstroke force is overheated and black. This must have been one of those engines with really good oil flow. It flushed all the debris out and kept it spinning till the rollers jammed the crank to a stop. The oil didnt even smell burned. It must have sounded cool with the piston pounding against the head and then a sudden screeching stop.

wistech

#135 Post by wistech »

I had my rebuilder look at the cracked web today and he had trouble seeing the crack. It might be just a surface crace so Im going to cut it down a few thousanths and polish it. It think it will be ok.

Brad Oakley

#136 Post by Brad Oakley »

In the second photo, where you're holding the rod, I can just make out the crank pin in the background. What kind of shape was it in? Also, how can I join the New Cannondale R&D Dept?

jesshamner

#137 Post by jesshamner »

I'll volunteer for the R&D...but only as a test rider.biggrin.gif I don't have the engineering background to actually create something. Keep up the good work guys.

wistech

#138 Post by wistech »

I could use a test rider . The last quad I restored still needs a few more hours of testing before final inspection and return to the owner. Ive been too sick for the last couple weeks to get out.
Brad the crank pin is to far gone to reuse. It will need a z400 pin.You can see where the cage wore down far enough on the outside to allow the inside to inside to start cutting into the pin .

jesshamner

#139 Post by jesshamner »

If I was close, I would help you out:D I need the seat time. Mine is down and I'm trying to get it running before this weekend.

cannondale27

#140 Post by cannondale27 »

We need to plan a real test session maybe when the Ice is good if we could get 12 guys we could schedule times for each to ride and do a 12 hour run of our own.Hey Brad all of us on the forums are C&D R&D!But I know how you could get promoted.How is that project going?