New valve buckets.

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#21 Post by cannondale27 »

You need to be careful that the coatings you use are compatible.In other words if the buckets already are hard chromed then the cams cant be or wear will be accelerated.The cams do have a coating on them.Not sure what it is though.

haydug

#22 Post by haydug »

Well, with all of this talk of using Z-400 parts, I have come to one conclusion. Just buy a Z-400 and be done with it!! tongue.gif

cannondale27

#23 Post by cannondale27 »

Yeah right:rolleyes:

kdeal

#24 Post by kdeal »

Originally posted by haydug
Well, with all of this talk of using Z-400 parts, I have come to one conclusion. Just buy a Z-400 and be done with it!!  :p

A Cannonsuzi ?

:mad:

claas900

#25 Post by claas900 »

..I noticed also that on w.hpd-inc.com they do offer harder buckets for the Preds,they also said the cams were 62 to 64 Rockwell..Its something to look at and think about.
..Even if they are 50 a peice and would be the fix for this id do it in a heart beat. But I really dont think its the buckets,I belive its the cams,springs.

cannondale27

#26 Post by cannondale27 »

Originally posted by claas900
..I noticed also that on w.hpd-inc.com they do offer harder buckets for the Preds,they also said the cams were 62 to 64 Rockwell..Its something to look at and think about.
..Even if they are 50 a peice and would be the fix for this id do it in a heart beat. But I really dont think its the buckets,I belive its the cams,springs.

Wow if they are 62-64 rockwell then we have found a issue.Our cams vary from 40-50 I believe:(Great info class900 just what we are looking for.

cannondale27

#27 Post by cannondale27 »

Camshaft hardness: A cast camshaft was flame hardened and ground. After the grinding operation it was necessary to verify that both the camshaft main journals and each cam journal had, in fact, been hardened.

Solution: An eddy current profiling operation using a single element coil was effectively used to verify both the hardness of each area of interest as well as the length of the flame hardening operation along the camshaft length

http://www.qualitymag.com/CDA/Articles/Sup...000f932a8c0____

cannon

#28 Post by cannon »

are there any updates on how the z400 valve buckets are holding up?

elkapower

Cams

#29 Post by elkapower »

Just got back from the dealer show, The lady at webcam, who has the c-dale cams in her catalog, says they need to be 60. They remove the bad surface, reweld with a hardfacing material, and regrind. She said the problem they had is when resurfacing the exhaust cam, the decompression release has a pin that they could not get back in. SO if someone knows how to address the decomp assy, and webcams can resurface, why not focus on the decomp assy?

cannondale27

#30 Post by cannondale27 »

The decompression assembly is a easy fix.There is a post on exactly how to do the procedure.If Webcam is really getting them to 60 rockwell I would run thier cams.Elkapower check our the other threads on this subject.We are finding that some have more than one problem.The bucket to bore clearance is tight and causing buckets to stick especially the one opposite decomp.That will contribute big time to valve float and wipe out cams especially if they arent hardened correctly.Should have called at dealer show would like to have met you.Here is link on how we have been doing decompression removal and repair when they are worn.Theory is if pin is good leave it alone.Looks like a hack job but has worked out very well and no negatives found at all in about 2 years of being done by me,wistech and I believe Champion and Maz also.

http://www.cannondaleriders.com/vbb/showth...=&threadid=9800