New flywheels`- need input and help

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
Mjollnir

#21 Post by Mjollnir »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Mar 2 2007, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you looking at just making the center hub? Or are you looking to make the whole flywheel? How can it spin if it's one piece? Unless it will eat up key ways.

That's what I meant, if you thought it would spin on the shaft. One opinion that I value says yes, and although I respect that, I think that if the flywheel was light enough, it might not have enough inertia to spin through the key if made of the right material (7175?) and hardened to T7.

I think a heavier one will have to have a steel hub though.

Marc

cannondale27

#22 Post by cannondale27 »

Problem is it cant be thicker than the current ones where it passes through stator.

cannondale27

#23 Post by cannondale27 »

I have seen these all aluminum Total loss flywheels on lots of dirtbikes but I cant find a picture.Basicly it is just about a 1"thick piece of aluminum about 2" in dia with a trigger for ignition and one small coil.No lights no fan no fuel pump nothing electrical except ignition.Problem is we need a stator and a big one.That limits to having a flywheel with a "snout" to reach crankshaft.That hurts strength.

MX Quad Dad

#24 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Mar 2 2007, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't believe the 100hp Banshees are running stock flywheels but I don't ever remember anyone tearing up a flywheel on a Banshee, only sheared flywheel keys & then only a few. On the high hp Banshees, especially those used in the sand they use a reverse flywheel where all the pick-ups are on the outside and the flywheel is only a few inches in diameter and made out of solid aluminum. The weight difference is drastic and the power band is even more of a light switch!

I made a comment about that style of flywheel in another thread. somewere? I just took the stator and flywheel off my old GT250 ZUK. I think it was twelve volts (but no cooling fan so maybe not big enough?) It is about 6" outside diameter with a three inch diameter flywheel.Also, I think there is a double row of magnets in the flywheel. I know it would be a lot to hope for to have the ZUK flywheel fit on the Dale crank, but if it did you would just need to build an adapter plate to mount the stator and figure how to mount the crank position sensor.

HMMMM, just remember I have a Dale crank in the shop. I'm going to see if the ZUK flywheel is even close to fitting the tapper on the Dale crank.

claas900

#25 Post by claas900 »

Sorry Iv been out of town. Mjollnir if you still want me to cut up my case and send it out ill do it. Pm me were it needs to go..

MX Quad Dad

#26 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ Mar 4 2007, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I made a comment about that style of flywheel in another thread. somewere? I just took the stator and flywheel off my old GT250 ZUK. I think it was twelve volts (but no cooling fan so maybe not big enough?) It is about 6" outside diameter with a three inch diameter flywheel.Also, I think there is a double row of magnets in the flywheel. I know it would be a lot to hope for to have the ZUK flywheel fit on the Dale crank, but if it did you would just need to build an adapter plate to mount the stator and figure how to mount the crank position sensor.

HMMMM, just remember I have a Dale crank in the shop. I'm going to see if the ZUK flywheel is even close to fitting the tapper on the Dale crank.

I checked the Zuk flywheel (rotor?). The Zuk crank is bigger. I don't know if it would be possible to make a bushing to make it fit? The outside diameter of the stator is 5 1/8" and about 2" thick. If someone has the skill and wants to try to make this work (I figure needs a bushing made plus whatever is needed for the crank sensor), I would be willing to ship it out. I would need to find out what it puts out to see if it would be worthwhile. Also this engine has been sitting for quite a while so I guess I should find out how to test it.

NRath

#27 Post by NRath »

This one's been dormant awhile... Any update, Mark?

thedeatons

#28 Post by thedeatons »

Will someone please fix this known problem? We spun another two this last trip, both had Boomer's fix (pinned with three bolts/cam lock washers). Neither one spun while jumping, just riding around as usual, high speed, no whoops involved.

Happyboy

#29 Post by Happyboy »

Man this is just weird. I have NEVER sput a flywheel. And there are people that spin them all the time. I can't help but wonder if there is something odd about their setup or is it just the rider. Maybe I ride like a puss.

jwheat

#30 Post by jwheat »

I've never spun one either. Is it possible that the people spinning them are riding the rev limiters and dropping the clutch. Maybe it is caused by sudden drastic inertia changes. We need as much info as possible to solve the problem. We know that mxer's seem to have a problem..... what about drag racers?