"I don't need no stinkin' dyno!"

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wistech

#21 Post by wistech »

Do they make guages with actual readings on them ? This would be handy for ballparking a map in. Unfortunatly how would you know where the afr is supposed to be for power? As the dyno keeps showing us trying for a specific number say 13.5 is a very bad way to tune. Some make power at 12/1 and some are way up to 14/1 but that could just be where the meter is calling those readings that day.I wouldnt trust any afr meter to give true readings as far as I can spit. There so many things that can cause false reading it isnt funny. Leaking headpipe,dirty sensors ,where the sensor is reading from, type of fuel...ect.

cannondale27

#22 Post by cannondale27 »

Wistech to answer your question of how you would know what range to shoot for?

You would have to race another quad close in power over and over.Rollons.When you gain your on the right AFR.This is way we used to tune everything.Very time consuming and can go through a clutch if guaging holeshots but it is fun and good practice.

jinx44

#23 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jul 22 2008, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very time consuming and can go through a clutch if guaging holeshots but it is fun and good practice.

That's why would would have to go from a roll in 4th gear.

cannondale27

#24 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes.Acceleration tuning is different for a holeshot that a rollon though.You have to do both.Mostly a carb thing though.Leakjets,Accelerator pump timing and needles all need to be adjusted and its alot different on holeshot from stop than rollon.We even had issues with stumble in early mapping.Was couple maps that had it bad.Not noticed on a rollon.

m_mcgranahan

#25 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hmmm,

I wonder if exhaust temp might actually be a more accurate way to measure this? Just a thought.

God bless...

Mark

cannondale27

#26 Post by cannondale27 »

Thats how we do 2st snowmobiles.But EGT guage is too slow to help in some things.I would like to experiment with one though.