The hydro lock issue?

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
claas900

#31 Post by claas900 »

Iv been thinking of taking one of theses apart also. I don??????????????????t think we want to try to increase the oil PSI,I'm afraid we might start shearing off roll pins?
On the other hand,different motors with different oil PSI,could be from a lose crank,or and here??????????????????s my next question? The old ones had a snap ring in them. So they had a set depth in them for the keeper. Theses have epoxy how did they know how deep to put it in. Springs have different PSI at different hights,maybe some springs are pressed hard enough to get like 5 PIS at idle???? Or is the epoxy hard then pressed in to the right depth? kinda like a plug?

cannondale27

#32 Post by cannondale27 »

If you look at the pics there is a ledge where the metal plug goes up against.Epoxy is over top of plug.Only way I see of changing psi would be to change bypass spring.Nobody is doing that.Only thing that may change is volume to pump.

wistech

#33 Post by wistech »

I have considered the electric soleniod or a manual shutoff valve on the inlet fitting but these things need to be 100% reliable . An electric valve might stick ,burn out,blow a fuse and who can remember to open a manual valve every time. If it can be achived then go for it. Any failure would mean huge repair costs. I think a simple rugged check ball mimiciing the stock one is the way to go. The KISS designing motto comes to mind. Ill give you a valve steve on sundays ride and Boomer if you want one Ill get one coming your way too. Keep up ideas flowing . :clap:

claas900

#34 Post by claas900 »

..So i tock mine apart tonight,well only the one with the leaky ball...It is like a rubber type ball..my seat isnt machined very well either..id like to just find a way to get that surface cleaned up,and reuse it..im sure i could come up with a plug of some sort..I just dont have a way of cleaning up the seat..any ideas?

wistech

#35 Post by wistech »

Ill bet a nice round stone for a dremel would do the job.

cannondale27

#36 Post by cannondale27 »

A endmill with a pilot to fit smaller bore at bottom would work also.

How about we get some nice brass seats made and just press them in there.Would add a little more tension to spring but shouldnt be a problem.

claas900

#37 Post by claas900 »

..I want to just try to clean up the seat surface and put it back togher. The plug is 14.04mm DI, or .553in..Anybody know were to find a freeze plug this small?

cdrider02

#38 Post by cdrider02 »

I worked on a leaky pump out of an FX motor it was the older style with snap rings. The cavity and seat for the rubber check ball was die cast and the vertical hole was drilled to intersect it so the seat was good initally but when the drilled hole intersected it it created the oil hole in the center of the seat and rolled a burr over into the cavity. I used a three sided hollow ground scraping tool to cut out the burr. For those really rough seats what about a ball nose end mill or a corner chamfering end mill. Is the angle of the seat critical? Does it need to be angled? Or will the ball nose work ? I think a drill might make chatter marks and leak the press in seat sounds like a very good idea, brass or even Delrin?

cannondale27

#39 Post by cannondale27 »

I believe instead of using the stock pressed in plug we could tap the hole and use a threaded plug.Cover that with Epoxy for safety.(for new style without clip)

Canniboomer

#40 Post by Canniboomer »

Originally posted by wistech
.... and Boomer if you want one Ill get one coming your way too.  Keep up ideas flowing .  :clap:

Yep, sure I would like one, and will send a goodie your way in return, tks... will PM my address again.