radiator standing up!

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
mmitteer

#31 Post by mmitteer »

Wouldn't a dual row 250R radiator fit? I measured my friends and it seemed to fit. I did not attempt this conversion yet so if this will not work please set me straight so I do not waste my time.

Matt

haydug

#32 Post by haydug »

Originally posted by mmitteer
Wouldn't a dual row 250R radiator fit?  I measured my friends and it seemed to fit.  I did not attempt this conversion yet so if this will not work please set me straight so I do not waste my time.

Matt

Not sure, but, the reason for the bottle is to be the highest point in the system, so air doesn't trap. I know we moved Kenny's top spigot to the left side of the radiator, and made a new hose. Seemed to help alittle also.
If you try it, take pics, and if you run into a stumble, maybe we can help.

cannondale27

#33 Post by cannondale27 »

You know you guys might be on too something with 250r rad.I have seen extensions for spigots somewhere.Just goes between cap and normal one.Should be enough to keep level high enough.Would have to clear frame though.

Derno24

#34 Post by Derno24 »

This fits in with what my project was going to be. I know the 250r would fit, but it was a little smaller in size then a dale radiator. I was looking at the Z400 because it was wider and would easily fit and clear the frame with the extension.

C27 where did you see these extensions. If I could get my hands on one then it would save me a ton of time.

mmitteer

#35 Post by mmitteer »

It was shorter but wider and thicker. I will post his dimensions later. I feel it will hold a larger capacity. I guess I just have to get it from him and compare the volume between the two.

Matt

Derno24

#36 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by mmitteer
It was shorter but wider and thicker.  I will post his dimensions later.  I feel it will hold a larger capacity.  I guess I just have to get it from him and compare the volume between the two.

Matt

It deifinitely will hold more coolant than stock. I can't remember the dimensions of the R radiator, but it was shorter and the width was only wider by like an inch. The z is shorter, but wider by 4 inches. This would make it easier to extend the neck into the plastics without any interference.

cannondale27

#37 Post by cannondale27 »

I am looking for those extensions.Like this but go right in cap rather than thermostat.

mmitteer

#38 Post by mmitteer »

The 250R radiator is about 9 5/8" tall X 14" wide X 2" thick. These are close measurements because they were taken while still installed in the quad. As for the Z400 radiator, where is the cap? Is it on the top? If so wouldn't we have to make an elbow if it is installed sideways. That is on the extension(elbow).

MX Quad Dad

#39 Post by MX Quad Dad »

OK, all this talk about the Z400 radiator, so I decided to look on ebay to see what used ones were going for. Anyway I found an aftermarket radiator. In the write up they say they custom build aluminum radiators.

Its a place in Elsinore CA. called PWR-performance. (877)656-9256 or you can look them up at www.pwr-performance.com

I would like to see a good cross flow rad avilable for the Dales.

I was also thinking you could just put a T in the upper hose and run it to the coolant bottle, on the stock Z rad.

Derno24

#40 Post by Derno24 »

z400 radiator is 9 tall x16 inches wide with the extra width it is a straight shot from the cap into the plastic. You would just need a longer filler neck.