Who's in for hardend camshafts?

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
Sandstorm

#31 Post by Sandstorm »

QUOTE (wistech @ Apr 8 2006, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sandstorm . The Cannondales already have a more agressive cam than the yfz's so it wouldnt help much to copy those. For my cam builder to come up with a cam design on his own he was talking $1500 to work one out. He said its easy to copy a profile of an existing cam but what are we to use? I was thinking the intake was the closest to the agressiveness we need but the lift is pretty high. Ill make my decision on what to try out soon. Things like valve to valve and valve to piston clearance are going to be an issue as well.
I wish you wouldnt give up on the cams because this R@D project might not work out .

Well since I am not going to make one red cent I don't want DAB to spend all this time and then somebody else comes up w/ something that works and sells. Then DAB is stuck w/ hrs of research and can't sell anything.. He has about 16 heads on his shelf to port so time isn't something he wants to waste for no dollars. You understand.. If your ideas fail and others want me to pursue w/ DAB I will.. I don't want to waste DABS time is my biggest concern..

wistech

#32 Post by wistech »

After sorting and marking the cams I sent them in to be heat treated. I sure hope they dont somehow get damaged by the process because the majority of good ones are from Timbo and I. One set of exhaust cams will have an extreme lift and duration never seen before. Im only doing one to make sure that there is no valve or piston interfereance. Since the batch was so big the cost for the process will hopefully be less than $10 each. Not a bad price to know that the cams will have a fighting chance of survival.

dalewannbe

#33 Post by dalewannbe »

Are you just hard welding the cams or are you also fixing worn cams? I have a set of worn cams, I'll ship up quick.

wistech

#34 Post by wistech »

Half of the cams will be repaired by hardwelding and the othe half ar just going in for the heat treatment process. After the repaired cams are done they to will get heat treated .
I have been told just the treated cams will take a couple of weeks but I will take that with a grain of salt.

yamadjs08

#35 Post by yamadjs08 »

Not sure whether you guys need one or not, but there is a brand new camshaft on ebay, looks like new old stock. Only one though.

wistech

#36 Post by wistech »

Well after a long drawn out wait a little package came in the mail with a big bill. I now have in my possesion several sets of high lift exhaust cams for testing. Now I have to figure out what engine they should go in. The SAS already has the baseline dyno runs and so does my motos 432 engine but I would rather wait till they need to come down before messing with them.. I just finished the 467 for the dyno day but since thats Chads motor Im not going to experiment. Im thinking the 460 stock stroke motor should be the test bunny for these. it should really have some wicked over rev then.

ANIMALSCANNIBAL

#37 Post by ANIMALSCANNIBAL »

Hey John, I have a 505 that is comming apart, due to cam timing that is too conservative,,,,, It is a low hour motor, the last time it was run was at steelcity,s dyno. Name your price for more exhaust lift and or duration.

wistech

#38 Post by wistech »

Oh boy. Ive already forwarded a prototype to Tim . It should be there monday .

ANIMALSCANNIBAL

#39 Post by ANIMALSCANNIBAL »

Ok, Tim (Mister Motor) did talk adout a Special cam comming from Wistech. Its going in/ on dyno/ out. blink.gif

wistech

#40 Post by wistech »

You sure you want to try it in your motor? The prototypes are not nitrided because I could not afford the several hundred bucks to do just those few cams. They have been welded with a very hard filler so there's no telling how long they will last. Tim will RC test them before using .