R/D Valvespring Head

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#31 Post by cannondale27 »

Oh I will!Killing me that I am so busy with work and Sled shocks now.

Anyone ever see this view?
[attachment=4974:TiValveC..._Medium_.jpg]

Check out Timbos new buckets.Not DLC coating something else.We decided to only coat the top since most of these coatings dont work with Aluminum which bucket bores are.We will see.Any guesses as to hp?Remember its STOCK STROKE 97mm piston.Anyone want to put $ that it wont reach 60hp?I think it will tongue.gif
[attachment=4975:TiValveC..._Medium_.jpg]

cannondale27

#32 Post by cannondale27 »

Well got this motor together and dynoed it saturday.Was hoping for 60hp.Since alot of different things were done I am not sure if one thing hurt the power or if it was just too much to expect.

Stock oldstyle crank
Bigger Tivalves =1.5mm oversize
Matczak Machining Porting=The latest proven porting
97mm CP 14.5:1 piston=High compression worked well in others
MMM coated buckets=Just testing.Peterocks version will be tested soon
Single valvesprings=Proven power
Stock Cams with very unstock cam timing for topend=worked before

Like I said we tuned cam timing for topend.If you ride this quad it is obvious that is what it has.Accelerates veryhard on the topend.Bottom is very lazy.Cannondale dip is very evident.May try eliminating some factors to see if gains can be made but way I see it my Trailmotor which had stroker crank,Crowercams,Low compression Assopiston and porting was a much better motor for the $.Still 450cc only 2hp loss(54hp-vs-56hp) but a whole lot cheaper to build and run and safer to build.

I want to thank Timbo for helping me with this project.Without his help tuning the ignition Timing.Results would have been lower yet.I dont want to see phone bill from this project!

All these charts are trail/race ready foam oiled filter etc.Tivalve motor had TurboBlue110 gas and trailmotor had Mobil92 pumpgas.

wistech

#33 Post by wistech »

Had it not had the oversized valves,light valve springs and Ti valves I would say those charts look right on track except for the low torque on the bottom and mid. I would suggest going with 108intake and 110 exhaust because that what my moto is running . I think your running just the opposite and maybe thats where those 3 to 4 hp are. I dont get the power loss with the air filter. My moto didnt change with the filter and the speed made max power with a quiet core. It did lose a lot of torque on the bottom though.
Are you using harley injectors on this engine?

wistech

#34 Post by wistech »

With quiet core and without. Definatly need more tuning otherwise that $2000 extra was in vain.

cannondale27

#35 Post by cannondale27 »

Not in vain.Still broke the 450cc records and even beat your 460cc motors for hp.Do think should get more.Going to try some different combos next.
All 3 of those charts posted are with filter on and 92 octane Mobil pump gas for Trailmotor and Turboblue 110 for TiValve motor.Just want to make that clear.Next will try different cams and bring out the U4 oxygenated.Need to take a look at valves since I seem to have lost cranking compression.Was 120psi and now is 90psi.Last time I pulled out all the tricks including U4 was this one.So from 53 went up to 58.I like this one better but it is always fun to go all out.I just dont have time sometimes to go for the gold. tongue.gif
[attachment=5093:Dyno_playtime.jpg]

peterock

#36 Post by peterock »

Steve,

May have something more for you to add to this motor. Hopefully find out tonight yet. smile.gif

wayneschofield

#37 Post by wayneschofield »

What cams were in it Steve?

I can send you a pair over shortly to try in it.....

cannondale27

#38 Post by cannondale27 »

Stock Cams.Exhaust was FX cam and intake was the cam factory made right after FX's.We missed the numbers we wanted for cam timing but didnt find that out till after the dyno.Hoping that is difference.Also in doing compression tests I found that if dead cold I have 95psi if motor is warm I have 120psi.Was worried it was a valve issue but it is consistent with the temperature everytime.Never observed this big of a change before.Not sure if that means it still isnt broke in or if thats just way it is since noone else seems to do compression tests.I am open to any help with this motor.56hp race ready is very nice but I really wanted 58-59hp race ready and 60hp with the U4 oxygenated gas.Motor will be pulled for more experimenting next week.

wayneschofield

#39 Post by wayneschofield »

25 psi is a bit of a variation..... temp alone will cause some increase in pressure and if the cold piston is cocking in the bore forcing the rings to make an elipse you will loose some more...

What material is the piston, copper or silicon based alloy?

cannondale27

#40 Post by cannondale27 »

I have no idea. .0015-.002 clearance with .020 ring gap.1compression ring style piston.CP.We have had a few cases of these rings taking forever to break in and seat especially if synthetic oil is used on breakin.I used Dino Valvoline and this assembly oil which is supposed to promote a fast ring seat.[attachment=5121:breakin_..._Medium_.jpg]