Custom flywheel ?

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
Guy310

#41 Post by Guy310 »

Cryogenic treating re-aligns the molecules, which makes them stronger. Rockwell hardness will be the same before and after.

USAMoto00

#42 Post by USAMoto00 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Oct 22 2006, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe its a acceleration issue.These motors are accelerating alot faster than ever before.The G-forces on that flywheel everytime you let off and then give it again have been increased.Its a weak design and its showing up more now because of our increased power.

I agree 100%. They seem to go faster (flywheels) if you pull the clutch and tap the brake in the air also. We have some jumps here that it's a neccesity about every other lap over the jump. I think these pinning ideas should work if it's strong enough and doesn't come loose in anyway. Hurry up Wistech! lol

wistech

#43 Post by wistech »

Guy310 is right about the cryo treatment . It will make the metal stronger but not increase the hardness. I sure it will not be enough though.

I finished the first flywheel and will be running it asap. Im going to run a metal flywheel cover on it for added strength in case of failure.

offroadfan

#44 Post by offroadfan »

QUOTE (wistech @ Oct 23 2006, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guy310 is right about the cryo treatment . It will make the metal stronger but not increase the hardness. I sure it will not be enough though.

I finished the first flywheel and will be running it asap. Im going to run a metal flywheel cover on it for added strength in case of failure.

Sweet, can't wait to hear the results. I'm getting ready to build my motor now, just raising the funds and I want my flywheel to last. So hopefully you gurus get something figured out.

wistech

#45 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (USAMoto00 @ Oct 23 2006, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree 100%. They seem to go faster (flywheels) if you pull the clutch and tap the brake in the air also. We have some jumps here that it's a neccesity about every other lap over the jump. I think these pinning ideas should work if it's strong enough and doesn't come loose in anyway. Hurry up Wistech! lol

Interesting , mine let go right after a sustained high speed run . With the extreme tall gearing one would think it would be easier on the flywheels.

cannondale27

#46 Post by cannondale27 »

Yours never really spun.It just self destructed!You guys should have seen the globs of magnet that came out when cover was pulled.

ktmlew

#47 Post by ktmlew »

The fact they are cracking still points toward a harmonic issue to me?

wistech

#48 Post by wistech »

mine did not spin but became extremely loose on the hub because the small screws I put in it was keeping it in alignment and still running. It was wobbling so bad that it was rubbing on the metal flywheel cover. had it not been pinned it would have been dead on the trail many miles back. Of course that might have saved the magnets .LOL ktmlew have you seen the flywheel pining thread and the whole problem with these flywheels? It is way to much stress on way to little metal causing the spinning. Ive seen new flywheels with cracks in them.

ktmlew

#49 Post by ktmlew »

QUOTE (wistech @ Oct 24 2006, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ktmlew have you seen the flywheel pining thread and the whole problem with these flywheels? It is way to much stress on way to little metal causing the spinning. Ive seen new flywheels with cracks in them.

Yep...it occurs to me I've never seen another 4-stroke with an aluminum flywheel ring?

wistech

#50 Post by wistech »

I think the whole reason for the aluminum part is to fill in the gaps for the tone ring but they could have designed arounf that .