R/D Valvespring Head

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#61 Post by cannondale27 »

Nothing just 30% richer map. I was only going to run it long term if results justified it power wise and obviously although a slight gain it didn't. I am not racing so much anymore so when I do the $ race gas costs isn't so bad vs replacing everything needed to run it safely. This motor scares me with all the $ and trick parts in it. Some of you may think I am nuts but I have a feeling I ran into same issues we had with stock injectors. Must be reaching upper end of duty cycle of Harley injectors since tuning was wierd especially with flowrate. Flowrate did very little which is very odd. Also had a hesitation in low end that would have required a bit of time to get out.

Will be doing another dyno test of motor as is but with Q16 VP race gas. Supposed to be wicked stuff designed for a motor such as this. Mydreamride may borrow me his dual exhaust also. If it doesn't make 60hp I give up and will put this head on the stroker and Trailmotor head which is a very good head on this one and dyno them to see what happens. If anyone has any other idea before let me know.

m_mcgranahan

#62 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hey Steve,

On the E85 I have been hearing that it is actually about 25% richer fuel/air than gas. (I don't know, just throughing it out) Did the afr indicate rich or lean condition at the dyno w/e85? If it was running a bit rich, it could be that was part of the hessitation. Just some thoughts. I would really love to find out more on the e85 front, so if you test more please let us all in on it biggrin.gif

God bless...

Mark

jinx44

#63 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jul 26 2008, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will be doing another dyno test of motor as is but with Q16 VP race gas.Supposed to be wicked stuff designed for a motor such as this.

I have seen back to back dyno numbers 30-40HP higher on Q16 vs. C16 on a 700HP engine.

m_mcgranahan, compared to race gas, its about 30%. Compared to pump gas which now contains about 10% ethanol, its around 25%.

cannondale27

#64 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (jinx44 @ Jul 30 2008, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have seen back to back dyno numbers 30-40HP higher on Q16 vs. C16 on a 700HP engine.

m_mcgranahan, compared to race gas, its about 30%. Compared to pump gas which now contains about 10% ethanol, its around 25%.

Oh please don't tease me! This 60hp has been hardest to get for me. It would be awesome if it did. All I need is 3hp to meet my goal. I do suspect the Cam II gas I ran this time isn't as good as the Turbo Blue 110 I normally ran. I put some in the kids XR50 and it didn't like it. Never had that issue with the Turbo blue. Will teach me to keep all the testing EXACTLY the same since it always makes a guy wonder even though they were both 110 and pump gas. I believe this will be first test of a exotic fuel in this motor.

cannondale27

#65 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (m_mcgranahan @ Jul 30 2008, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Steve,

On the E85 I have been hearing that it is actually about 25% richer fuel/air than gas. (I don't know, just throughing it out) Did the afr indicate rich or lean condition at the dyno w/e85? If it was running a bit rich, it could be that was part of the hessitation. Just some thoughts. I would really love to find out more on the e85 front, so if you test more please let us all in on it biggrin.gif

God bless...

Mark

It was rich in the begining. Perfect in peak. I didn't tune the begining at all other than the 30%. Was just going for max hp. Later learned most guys are only going 20% first 20% of map then 30% for general starting point. I definitly plan to explore this further but this motor isn't intended for anything other than drag racing and oval racing. I think on the stroker the E85 is going to really make a very broad power curve and easy to ride and get traction for MX and the TT's where that is really necesary. Looking forward to testing that one. 60hp should be easier and cheaper!

Speed 1B

#66 Post by Speed 1B »

Hey Steve I'm having that same problem. I'm sure Tim told you, but it took major flowrate changes to make a noticeable difference in my afr to get the top end on the money. Now it has a pretty bad hesitation/miss from I'd guess 4-6K rpm but she cleans up after that and about tears me off the seat.

I don't think its gonna hurt it for dragin' but I'm afraid of fouling a plug in the return lane.

Tim is going to take care of it at the races Sunday hopefully.

cannondale27

#67 Post by cannondale27 »

That there is sign of power in your case since you are needing a whole different map. May also be we are at the limit of the Harley injectors. I like problems like that!

I bet a PowerCommander would do a awesome job on lowend. When racing might want to reconsider the gearing you talked of. I would keep it lower since if you do hook up it might hesitate a bit.

Speed 1B

#68 Post by Speed 1B »

Im going to 15/40.

I'm on the phone with Tim now. He says no problem getting that miss out of it. Says he knows exactly what it needs.

cannondale27

#69 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes its rich. Wouldn't it be nice if you didn't need Timbo to tune it though? I know the dyno guy in PA loves the PowerCommanders.

Speed 1B

#70 Post by Speed 1B »

Yeah I'm sure Tim wouldn't mind if I could take care of tuning myself, but mostly when I go to dyno my bike Tim brings somthing to dyno too so its working out for both of us.

Dyno Dan is a power commander junkie. That's really all he tunes so he could do it in his sleep.

It would be nice to not have to rely on Tim for tuning. I bought Procal and never learned how to use it. I think I would rather teach myself to use it than buy a PC or just sell the Procal and then buy the PC. I dunno. I'm just afraid to make a mistake and that's what is holding my back from my Procal. It's pretty overwelming and thats the big advantage of the PC in my eyes.