Custom flywheel ?

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wistech

#61 Post by wistech »

It looks similar to the first one but only have 4 screws in them and not as polished. I picked up one of Timbo's many junk crank halve to build a fixture to shave several hours off the process.

mike justice

#62 Post by mike justice »

QUOTE (wistech @ Dec 15 2006, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It looks similar to the first one but only have 4 screws in them and not as polished. I picked up one of Timbo's many junk crank halve to build a fixture to shave several hours off the process.

Just to add my experience with flywheels on cdales,i have never had flywheel to spin with bad crank bearing,rod bearing,etc ,but did have to change one because of material around magnets coming loose,just thought this might help somehow.I have however, had every other problem that i have heard of on these machines,wait,never dropped a valve yet unsure.gif

MX Quad Dad

#63 Post by MX Quad Dad »

OK, I have the engine from my old ZUK street bike. I took the flywheel cover off. It seems to have the stator on the outside of what would be the flywheel on the inside. now this is the old points ignition, but the bike did have a battery and lights. I know our quads have the cooling fan also, so you may not be able to get enough power from a system like this. I just figure it would be easyer to build something to hold up if it were this style

cannondale27

#64 Post by cannondale27 »

Would have to source a new stator also though and what effect would smaller dia. have on pickup sensor?One of biggest benefit doing it that way would be wieght could be reduced since these stock reinforced flywheels are going to be steel reinforced.After seeing Wistech dyno runs with magnets removed from stock flywheel I am wondering if that wieght loss did more than thought.Hard to believe that the drag of magnetic force alone accounted for over 2hp loss or 2hp gain when removed.