Cams...

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
Happyboy

#61 Post by Happyboy »

I have been getting into my motor about once per year. The wife's quad....planned less than that but I keep breaking the plans with tweaks. lol

cannondale27

#62 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (m_mcgranahan @ Jul 31 2008, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

Yeah, that is pretty often especially considering it takes me at least 6-7 hours to take the motor out and put it back in again! What all do you do on each of those service pulls?

Thanks

God bless...

Mark

Mark I can have my motor sitting on the bench after cleaning the running quad in 45minutes including taking plastic and nerfs off.Umm that is what comes with alot of practice.Thankfully in last year just for inspections.Total teardown in 1/2hr.Assembly is a minimum of 10 hrs though if everything.Topend about 4 or 5.Depending on cam timing and head assembly.Putting it back in normally takes around two or three hours.My plastic is pinned not screwed on,open airfilter and airtools for disassembly cuts time hugely.Removing starter and battery as unit,radiator and fan stay in,TB just gets set to front,Chain and sprocket stay intact and adjusted,entire Slave just gets moved off motor,Injectors stay inplace in hoses,Lot of little things.Assembly takes longer just because of cleaning for Loctite and torquing.

Its the safe thing to do Happyboy.I believe it costs much less in the long run.I cant afford whole motors anymore.But most of all I cant afford to miss riding for lack of a 1day chore I can do while babysitting my kids.They "help" some also.

thedeatons

#63 Post by thedeatons »

You leave the radiator and fan in? Am I missing a secret here?

m_mcgranahan

#64 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

As long ans the take out the injectors, you can leave the Rad and fan in. It does save time.
I agree getting it out is easy, but like you said putting it back in is a bit more tough. I guess acutally that est. is from the first few times I did it, so I am getting a little faster, but not 4 hrs from pull to riding again.

God bless...

Mark

m_mcgranahan

#65 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

BTW that also includes pulling one nerf bar and removing the full under skid plate as well as reinstalling them. (Some don't use those items. )

God bless...

Mark

cannondale27

#66 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Jul 31 2008, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You leave the radiator and fan in? Am I missing a secret here?

Sure do.Engine cradle stays on the motor also.When I ran airbox I left that on to save time of assembling that.

Happyboy

#67 Post by Happyboy »

I have mine out in less than an hour as well. I don't leave the cradle on though. Secret is not trying to be all OCD with the hoses and oil and such. Drain them, then get moving. Let the stuff leak all over while removing the engine and clean up afterwards. smile.gif

peterock

#68 Post by peterock »

QUOTE (m_mcgranahan @ Jul 31 2008, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

BTW that also includes pulling one nerf bar and removing the full under skid plate as well as reinstalling them. (Some don't use those items. )

God bless...

Mark

Leave the nerfs intact. I dropt the motor then grap a jack stand and lift the quad on it's side and prop it up with the jack stand. High enough to slide the motor under the nerfs and then set it back down.

m_mcgranahan

#69 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

I would, but it makes it so tough to work bent over to get all the bolts off with the nerfs on, but I'll have to try it. (one of my quads has nerfs that have to come off to access the engine cradle bolts anyways, so not option there.
Any other tricks for a quick motor pull?

Thanks

God bless...

Mark

cannondale27

#70 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes my Propegs block the cradle bolts also.Hmm using shock to hold up quad by putting it under subframe.Exhaust is a time consumer.Lots of 1/4" extensions and air ratchet.Leave the frame return line/scavenger pump line attached to motor and remove it from frame,Coolant bleed same(dont forget it)