Its time for crank updates

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#71 Post by cannondale27 »

The Z400 bearing will distribute the force better so yes should be less friction.Oiling Z400 pin uses 2 oilholes too our one stock I believe the pin Timbomoose makes has 2 holes also.The better bearing is the key here.Mainly the cage design.

wistech

#72 Post by wistech »

cannibalq8 clean out your mailbox.

cannondale27

#73 Post by cannondale27 »

Another comparo

cannibalq8

#74 Post by cannibalq8 »

Originally posted by wistech
cannibalq8     clean out your mailbox.

i clean it .. thanx smile.gif

thanx cannondale27 for the explaination and the HEX coad smile.gif

cannondale27

Crank Weights

#75 Post by cannondale27 »

Here is what I came up with.Scale is fairly accurate but I am sure better ones are used for figuring balancing out.Flywheel side is 28 grams heavier or a bit more since Suzuki pin is lighter than stock pin(I subtracted weight of Suzuki pin for estimate)2 quarters,3 nickels and one dime =28 grams.This is a FX400 crank.

wistech

The Z crank test begins.

#76 Post by wistech »

I got my first z bearing engine in the quad today and ran it for about half an hour. Seems to run smooth and defintly has less vibration than before. How many hours should this engine last before we call this an honest good for us update? Im thinking 75 hours. This crank just had the massive amounts of sludge removed from the pin and a z bearing installed and trued. . The rod and pin were perfect. If it holds up that will be the best $75 I will have spent.

One down 2 more to go.:eek:

dalewannbe

#77 Post by dalewannbe »

keep up the good work!

do you need steve and myself to bring the quad to the group ride so we can test out the motor for you?

How many hours were on that rod and pin?

wistech

#78 Post by wistech »

The z bearing is holding up. biggrin.gif I rode it 1 hour yesterday and today I was invited out for a 2 hour blast on a private MX track. I traded off quads for a couple laps on a stock fx400. OMG the speed ohlins just about killed me. The fx400 could easily walk all over my moto in power but the Elkas and moto setup kicked arse on the jumps. Dang Im motivated.
I dont know for sure how many hours were on the crank before we replaced ther bearing but I would say it had less than 50 hours on considering there was no wear . :head:

cannibalq8

#79 Post by cannibalq8 »

great news smile.gif... i think the crank will still over 100 hrs

wistech

#80 Post by wistech »

At the 6 hours break in oil change I found nothing in the oil filter. I pulled the scavange pump cover to inspect the huge magnets I installed in the sump. There was just a smidge of black sludge on the magnet and no steel chips . I guess I flushed the frame out pretty good. The abuse will continue.:hammer: