Who's in for hardend camshafts?

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
SlOoT

#91 Post by SlOoT »

Why do you have to cut in the cam to get decomp of?

I can remove the complete decomp without cutting or grinding in the camshaft.

cannondale27

#92 Post by cannondale27 »

How do you get the pin out Sloot?

Happyboy

#93 Post by Happyboy »

QUOTE (SlOoT @ Jan 21 2010, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why do you have to cut in the cam to get decomp of?

I can remove the complete decomp without cutting or grinding in the camshaft.

Not without tearing the decomp apart.

Happyboy

#94 Post by Happyboy »

Hey John, how much for a core swap? Have you sent any back out for hard welding + nitride?

wistech

#95 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Jan 21 2010, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey John, how much for a core swap? Have you sent any back out for hard welding + nitride?

I had 2 runs made when I started this thread and have been discussing with Tim on an alternate profile for the exhaust and none has come up so if more are made they will the same or stock. I never had intakes rewelded but we do have several choices of profiles for them. One thing I will insist on for the exhaust is a full lobe weld and base circles reshaped back the the stock hieght so I dont have to mess with decomp adjustments. I have no plans as of yet to get more made as it was several thousand dollars for the last batch and I will have quite a pile of spares when this batch get done. I suppose I could check on a price to get a small quantity done.
I have no idea what current cost are for rewelding the cams but the price on nitriding has come way down to what I would call dirt cheap . This batch should be way less than what I was paying before. Im thinkin less than $10 per cam .

SlOoT

#96 Post by SlOoT »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jan 22 2010, 02:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do you get the pin out Sloot?

First I remove the lever. Then I clamp the small pin that is pressed in the large pin with a device. Then I tap the small pin out and then it is possible to remove the decomp.

wistech

#97 Post by wistech »

So do you install it back the same way the factory did?

SlOoT

#98 Post by SlOoT »

I dunno how the factory did it. But I put the large pin on the cam, then mount the backing plate on the cam.

Then I put the small pin in the large pin (large pin is the one that pushes the valve down), and then I instal the lever with spring, and ofcourse I make sure the lever is not to "lose".

wistech

#99 Post by wistech »

I guess I would call that the hard way. Personally i never take the small pin out ever as they can be tempermental . I have rebuild several hundred decomps and I have seen way to many of the originals that broke off leaving the large pin to spin around and really mess up the engine. So if they are still good then dont mess with them. It is easy to just grind away the rest of the cam groove and remove the decomp as an assembly . Rebuilding is then also done and an exact fit with very little side play can performed easily. They can also be shipped and just install on any cam easily for those who shouldnt be messing with rebuilding. If it works for you then thats OK.

2000ex

#100 Post by 2000ex »

Cool Sloot, I never tried one that way...although like Wistech said it could be tempermental with those small parts