Timbo's Excellent Work

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
kdeal

Timbo's Excellent Work

#1 Post by kdeal »

I had Timbo convert me a cable clutch case to a hydro clutch. A homebuilt unicorn! The only fly in the ointment was the oil feed to the bearing. Timbo came up with a killer way to do this.

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

He drilled from the outside of the case down thru the feed from the oil spray bar and into the bearing area. He then tapped and threaded the hole for a small set screw. It was pressure tested for function. I just now need to build it into a strong motor. What do you guys think?

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Thats great.Timbo never ceases to amaze me with his capabilities.:clap:

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

I wonder if we need the oil feed line at all. It seems that the oil feed was mainly to lube the clutch pivot. You would think that if you took the shield off the inside of the main bearing it would easily get what lube it needs from splash being right next to the tranny gears and spray bar. Another option would be to use a sealed bearing. It might be that the oil feed was for the clutch shaft ball to.

cdalemx301

#5 Post by cdalemx301 »

Hey Kdeal you are taking pictues in the future now? that picture says it was taken on April 16, 2006

timbomoose

#6 Post by timbomoose »

I wonder if we need the oil feed line at all. It seems that the oil feed was mainly to lube the clutch pivot. You would think that if you took the shield off the inside of the main bearing it would easily get what lube it needs from splash being right next to the tranny gears and spray bar. Another option would be to use a sealed bearing. It might be that the oil feed was for the clutch shaft ball to.

I agree was thinking of doing that but did the oil line to be safe.Probably would be fine without the shielding for the bearing and would make the conversion a whole lot easier,just like you said the biggest concern is the ball that the shaft rides on.If dry could be ugly.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

You could add a spiral groove to the whole length of the pushrod lots of motors do this to direct oil that is around push rod to the ballbearing.Since pushrod is turning while running.

USAMoto00

#8 Post by USAMoto00 »

I just had one of these conversions done about 3 weeks ago.smile.gif We have a local oldschool feller who is a very good machinest too.

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

Originally posted by cdalemx301
Hey Kdeal you are taking pictues in the future now? that picture says it was taken on April 16, 2006

My digital camera has a mind of it's own. It's about ready to take a dump, and I have been putting batteries in way too often lately......

:eek: