Swingarm Bearings

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
banzairx7

Swingarm Bearings

#1 Post by banzairx7 »

After having to replace my swingarm bearings recently I am surprised no one here has tried to re-engineer this setup. The design is pretty bad and we will keep on replacing bearings until we fix it. Hence why I am posting this in the R&D section.

There are two problems with the stock setup that I see. One is the part count. There are just way to many pieces in there. The second is there are multiple leak paths for water to get into the bearings. That is why we are having to replace them. Mine weren't worn out they were rusted solid. I assume that was the failure mode for everyone elses.

I think we can solve both problems with one swoop. I'm imagining combining the inner sleeve(s), outer needle bearing washer and the thicker very outer washer into one part. I'm hoping this part could be made from something 17-4 hardened stainless. Here's what I have in mind-

banzairx7

#2 Post by banzairx7 »

Then you put a seal on the inner engine side that seals against the bore and the new sleeve setup. I found that Chicago rawhide makes a seal that will work. Their part #7854 which is 26mm OD x 20mm ID x 4mm width.

With doing these two thing we can reduce the part count per side from 8 parts(including the seals) down to 5. We can also make the bearing completely sealed from getting water into it.

Cannondale knew this was a problem but chose not to address it. Originally it was because they couldn't find anyone to make the bushing as one piece cheap enough. Later in production a cheap supplier was found but they were to far into it to change.

Thoughts???

Happyboy

#3 Post by Happyboy »

looks like winky's bearing.

banzairx7

#4 Post by banzairx7 »

What's the details on the winky bearing? I haven't heard to many good things about him but don't have any first hand expeirence.

Happyboy

#5 Post by Happyboy »

I know 1 thing from him that works and its the swingarm bearing holder. Very good design, for the most part.

Here is a pic of the new and old bearings from cannondaler.

Happyboy

#6 Post by Happyboy »

1 more thing to add.....$125!!!! That guy is waco on his prices. For that price difference I will stick with the $50 all balls version. Just maintain it with fresh grease and it will last.

banzairx7

#7 Post by banzairx7 »

Yup pretty much the same idea. I had just integrated one more washer into it.

Do you know if his sleeve was hardened? I question wether or not it needs to be.

Happyboy

#8 Post by Happyboy »

here is his pic all together....

gnccblaze440

#9 Post by gnccblaze440 »

this is the set-up i am running now

gnccblaze440

#10 Post by gnccblaze440 »