duel exhaust

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
rancid

duel exhaust

#1 Post by rancid »

anybody ever try duels on a qaud, i was looking how how short the exhaust is now and figured duels might let it breathe a bit better. a modified lte yfz 450 might be a starting point.

jwheat

#2 Post by jwheat »

Dual exhaust will give the bike better top-end because it allows the exhaust gasses to escape quicker. 2-into-1 pipes are designed to to scavenge better and allow for better low and mid-range power. If you're running wide open throttle applications such as drag racing, then they will help , otherwise stick with a 2-into-1 pipe. I've got a quad with duals on it. It uses a 350X motor with a 6mm stroker and a 92mm piston. I run an Edlebrock carb with Powroll's high-end cam and true dual exhaust. I also run a 15 tooth front sprocket and a 34 tooth rear sprocket. It will hit low triple digits and pull sixth gear wheelies, but my Cannondale will beat it in 300 ft.

:hammer:

rancid

#3 Post by rancid »

i mostly ride in the sand, so top end might be good in this case.

61austin

duel exhaust

#4 Post by 61austin »

Two pipes and Two silencers that is twice the weight and probably twice the price for a minimal increase in top end power. I ride mostly sand with 13/38 gearing/ moto map and think that I have to shift too much compared to my brother's Z400. Personally I don't think that the small increase in top end is worth the sacrifice in low and mid range power but that is just my opinion.
I believe that Dirt Wheels did a dyno test on a duel pipe setup, I will do some digging and try to find it.

Derno24

Re: duel exhaust

#5 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by 61austin
I believe that Dirt Wheels did a dyno test on a duel pipe setup, I will do some digging and try to find it.

Dirt wheels did a test on the Looney Tuned Exhaust and wasn't very impressed, but that doesn't mean there may not be a gain there for someone else with a different system.

61austin

#6 Post by 61austin »

Very true, as we all know not all pipes are created equal.

banzairx7

#7 Post by banzairx7 »

The two mufflers to me wouldbe worth the weight. The quieter the better.

The main reason most people dislike offroad bikes is the noise. Nobody wants to listen to it all day. If you can make them quiet you won't run into the problems as much with land closures and people calling the police on you.

jwheat

#8 Post by jwheat »

Just because you have two silencers on your bike doesn't mean that it would quieter. The type of silencer that you have would have the most effect on that. If you're looking for a quieter exhaust that still gives you decent gains, HMF offers a quiet core for their silencer. I think it keeps it down around the 98 db range where the completely open HMF is over a 100 db. My numbers may be off just a little bit, but they are close enought to get my point across.

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

I was going to build dual exhaust . You need a remote rezzy rear shock for clearance. I had a set of elkas remotes but traded them off for a set of ohlins so that project was shelved. Ive seen another one where they ran a crossover pipe behind the fuel tank to another muffler on the right. Seemed to much fuss.

I found gutting a toaser exhaust and reinforcing the design works good . A big old expansion chamber does the trick.

MX Quad Dad

#10 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Originally posted by jwheat
Dual exhaust will give the bike better top-end because it allows the exhaust gasses to escape quicker. 2-into-1 pipes are designed to to scavenge better and allow for better low and mid-range power. :hammer:

I'm not sure if that theroy is correct for single cylinder engines?

I do believe the scavenge effect with differant length headpipes would cause an uneven flow from each valve on a full duel system. Which may be good??? or bad?

With all the homes getting built around me, More HP and less noise = More fun for a longer time