Prototype Mudguards

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
Jaybr

Prototype Mudguards

#1 Post by Jaybr »

I know many of you have rigged up your own homemade mudguards that work well, but I had some ideas and one of our members and I got together and here is what he made for the first prototypes.

These fit OMF shrouds and are laser cut out of stainless:)

I wasn't too worried about the middle of the radiator, bumper, plastic, and frame do a good job of protecting that.

Jaybr

#2 Post by Jaybr »

Perfect fit, just rivet or bolt to the shrouds and ziptie the tab to the frame spar for extra support.

Jaybr

#3 Post by Jaybr »

they will rivet to spar on top and side.

If there is enough interest, I'm sure he will be willing to make more.

CptHook

#4 Post by CptHook »

Look sweet, how strong are they? They look real thin from the photo.

Jaybr

#5 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by CptHook
Look sweet, how strong are they? They look real thin from the photo.

.050 stainless. plenty strong, stronger that the aluminum shrounds.

theJeStEr1340

#6 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Cost?

Happyboy

#7 Post by Happyboy »

Jay, I want a set!! I have the OMF shrouds so I guess some identical to yours would fit. Just let me know how much and I will let you know. Can't you buy that guard material from somewhere?

Jaybr

#8 Post by Jaybr »

You'll have to talk to Nrath about cost. He's the one that made them, I just helped with design.

I'm not sure about the material, I think if it could be bought he would have bought it instead of cutting.

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

These things are sweet, I saw them at the ride. The OMF guard would have to fall off before these things won't work. They are supported on 3-sides plus a tab that rests against the frame.

SWEET

NRath

#10 Post by NRath »

I rode with them on my quad this past weekend. Wasn't much of a trial, though, since I didn't have anyone any front of me slinging roost at me. They need a little tweaking for me to be happy with them, I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I made the sets that Jay and I have at work. I can't really do any mass production here, but we've got a vendor that I've already talked to that would be glad to make them. I'll work on getting the changes made and getting a price on them. The fact that they are stainless automatically means they'll be a little pricey. I don't have a clue what they'll charge for them. With all the slots, I don't really think any other material's will serve the purpose better.