Map Building 101

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

Map Building 101

#1 Post by cannondale27 »

I am all ears here as I dont have any real knowledge of this.What I do know is that with the mods our motors are getting we are well out of the range of doing flow/offset adjustments.Getting enough fuel out of the stock injectors is not a problem.Flowrate can be adjusted to give plenty on top.problem is this causes poor starting and loading up at or a bit above idle.That can be fixed with offset but offset does lean out top end causing motor to run lean and hot.Here is what I am thinking.

Throttle % still needs to be at or about 3% at idle so the I.A.C.V. still works properly giving you a high idle when cold then goes down.Just like stock.

If the above is the goal only way to accomplish with stroker/ported is to change the map.

So we can see the numbers in the map fuel wise and we can change the numbers.How much at a time?

Can we use a percentage based off of throttle %?

Plan on hitting dyno wed or thurs so any ideas here would help.Otherwuse I will just tune (flowrate) for high rpm and hopefully be able to use those numbers to map lowend.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

More Questions.
When you make a map is it just print all the numbers out and then fill in all the new numbers?

Rider trim.After making adjustments using rider trim.How do you save the map you just made and How do you transfer that map onto P.C.?

Exodus

#3 Post by Exodus »

You know, its kind of refreshing to see someone on here ask questions about this. At least I know I'm not the only one that is a little shy on knowledge concerning the maps.

jfarrar

#4 Post by jfarrar »

i've been playing with a map myself.my original settings were 2500 and .80 stock.now i have a timbo stroker with a high compression 450 piston and a winky ported head.i started with a stock map and moved my flowrate to 2350 and offset to 1.50 (thee are the same settings i ran with the winky 450) and it was lean.hard to start popping on decel and lean up top.so i went into the map and added a gram of fuel to it throughout.still lean.i then went 2 grams o f fuelin the low rpm range 2.5 grams in the mid and 2 grams up top.i dont remember the exact rpms and positions.i finally ended up running a tad bit rich but the motor seems to like it.down low at an idle and just above it will load up a little though now but i think i am in range of adjusting with the florateand such.ill post more when i can figure out what happened to my pc here as it wont do crap and my dm expired on me this weekend and now i cant reload it.sad.gif cdale27 do you have procal?i have seen maz do it and he highleght the range he wants to change and then uses the toolbar on top to add %'s or what not.the one i use i have to enter each number individually:cry:

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

No I dont have procal.Will just have to do it hard way like you.Cant take the time to do it at the dyno though.I think maptweak you can do it % wise though.Big help Jason thanks.

Derno24

#6 Post by Derno24 »

Ok I was looking through as I have never tinkered with the maps myself I can't go into that end at all, but I am curious why you think the offset affects anything but idle/off idle. I do know the flowrate will affect even the offset. I have seen it in the dyno sheets too many times. I know with my street bikes a dyno trip was almost always necessary for good settings just due to the nature in which fuel injection works. You could easily have rich/lean conditions within 1000 rpms.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes derno the offset suprised me also.I had great plug readings adjusting flow and thought all I had to do was adjust offset to get clean idle and right off idle.Dropped offset .05 at time till good idle and right off idle.Was at .88 went down in steps to .65 idle was clean and great response but lost power on top and way too lean on top.(Another plug reading).

Jaybr

#8 Post by Jaybr »

I don't have procal either, so I do it the hard way. I basically used the same approach as Jfarrar adding fuel in ranges where I thought it was needed. I have the added benefit of an AFR meter, so I can do some basic testing in the garage.

I've only posted 2 stroker maps that I made, and both where tested and dynoed.

GDITheman

#9 Post by GDITheman »

what do you use to tweak maps the "hard" way?

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Right now I am using a early test version of MapTweak which a couple of Dalers have made.Should be coming out with whole d&m/procal program soon.I cant wait.