Cooling issues

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
CptHook

#21 Post by CptHook »

Derno is never right, it is only others that are wrong.

MX Quad Dad

#22 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Seems to me there was a place in Cal. that custom built high performance radiators. A few years back I was looking for a better rad for my sons Banshee, someone (i think Summit) recamended them. I ended up useing a Tommey Rad, which had the same tube design (which held more coolant in the same size rad) as the custom rad plus they had them in stock.

Brad Oakley

#23 Post by Brad Oakley »

Let me start by correcting one thing... What I told Krash is that avgas has less of a tendency to vaporlock when things get hot (vaporlocking an airplane engine would NOT be a good thing!) I told him that using avgas, in Arizona, in the summer, is not a bad idea

Cannondale did a lot of factory testing of the radiators before settling on the current design. Trav told me that they ran quads for hours and hours with thermal sensors attached to the four corners of the radiators, as well as at the inlet and outlet of the radiator. Logic would make one think that having the coolant enter one corner of the radiator and then exit from the diagonal corner (cross-flow) would create better cooling - forcing the coolant to travel through all of the cooling passages. This isn't the case. They discovered that the coolant pretty much passes evenly through ALL the radiator with the design we now have. There was less than 4 degrees difference, on average, from the readings taken from the four corners of the radiators. They also discovered that the cross-flow plumbed radiators didn't get the coolant any cooler at the outlet than the design we now have!

Okay, now I'll open another can of worms... I have been told that re-wiring the fan motor so that the ECU operates it on a relay, allowing the fan to get its voltage from the battery, and then returning it to ground WITHOUT passing the current through the ECU will allow the fan to turn faster. The electrical upgrade I sell does this exact thing. I have one quad with the upgrade and one without. Any suggestions on how I might check both fans to see how fast they are turning? One would think that a faster fan would cool better...

Anyone have access to a BIGGER fan?

blaze#52

#24 Post by blaze#52 »

you could use a photo tach. it would be a little hard to get in there, but it would give you the exact RPM's.. what about a 24 volt fan for the XC guys that are running 24 volts. Wire the fan in on its own curcuit like Brad said.

wistech

#25 Post by wistech »

Ive tried a bigger fan but it had to be mounted as a pusher in front of the radiator. High speed fan blades shooting rocks into the radiator is not a good thing. I would like to mod the stock radiator to move it forward about 1 inch to allow for a real cooling fan that has at least 70 percent coverage.

CptHook

#26 Post by CptHook »

I think you guys are missing the point here, Derno is never right. :drink:

Derno24

#27 Post by Derno24 »

Brad, I knew about the cross flow. From what I have read and have heard there is no real advantage to using a cross flow as opposed to our current system. Our only thoughts were to buy and exsisting radiator and modify it to work in our current configuration.

There is one more trick to making something like this work and that is our water bottle and how to tie it in or replace it. I have one idea, but I am waiting to see how it would work before I make myself look silly.:eek:

cannondale27

#28 Post by cannondale27 »

Well this weekend I ran without any guard on the radiator.Light never went on at all.I think if Cannondale was indeed doing all the testing of radiator like said they must have had a issue.Always wondered why they were only quad I have ever seen without a guard for radiator.Anyway will be switching to Aluminum impellar and Engine Ice for some insurance.Not looking forward to mud races especially without a guard.

GDITheman

#29 Post by GDITheman »

it was mid 80's up here this weekend and i run evans and an aluminum impeller in my 468 and i don't think it was running any hotter than my buddies predator. there were times when they fan waited a bit before kicking on after i shut off the quad, so i know the radiator wad keeping up while trail riding.

i was having vapor lock problems. my quad would shut down and i'd see bubbles coming from the pump into my fuel filter. i think the pump was sucking the fuel line closed. i have a tight bend and it would flatten out.

GDITheman

#30 Post by GDITheman »

i want to know how brad can find someone to make aluminum valve covers and ATK can't. i applaud brad for this, but wtf is up with ATK?