Cooling issues

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
Derno24

#11 Post by Derno24 »

What he said!

cannondale27

Radiator and Cooling issues

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

I am running a bit hot since mods.Going richer has not solved issue.I have the status lights and after very hard running slow blink has been on on occasion.Will add Aluminum impellar and probably switch to Engine Ice.Hopefully the aluminum valve covers Brad Oakley at Black Widow is having made will show soon.Radiator will have to be next step if impellar and coolant change doesnt work.Derno started a great thread on subject.Never had a issue before but do now.Haydug has also tried coating radiator.

http://www.cannondaleriders.com/vbb/showth...or&pagenumber=2

http://www.cannondaleriders.com/vbb/showth...&threadid=11330

cannondale27

Derno was right

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

Well for those who think I wont admit to being wrong.There you have it.Cooling with my modded motor has become a issue.That leads me to believe all motors must be on edge.My status lights indicate first level of being hot after hard run.
Black Widow has the elusive aluminum valve covers coming soon so I will be switching to Engine Ice.Better radiator needs to be found also.More info here:

http://www.cannondaleriders.com/vbb/showth...&threadid=12384

Derno24

#14 Post by Derno24 »

Just so you have some good ground to start on. I have used the in-line cooling fins and they worked ok, but I doubt it would be enough. What I have been looking at it is using a current aftermarket radiator in the stock location. A good radiator shop would be able to weld our mounting points to the new radiator. Right now the 2 radiators I am looking at is a z400 or 250r. 250r has both intake and outlet on the same side so not much of a hose change. The z400 radiator has inlet and outlet on opposite sides so a hose change is in order. I will have more as I get there.

cannondale27

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

Was looking at the Z400 and YFZ radiators both are actually smaller in area compared to ours stock.Does the crossflow design make that big of improvement?

blaze#52

#16 Post by blaze#52 »

I always thought that the design of the water pump impeller would not produce enough flow to cool a modded motor. Since the impeller spins half the speed of the engine, i think it only can produce around 13-14 gallon a minute under good conditions(the impeller does not wobble) I am sure that the aluminum one would be better.

wanablaze

#17 Post by wanablaze »

****** is right. The gas that you run up there is probably the cheaper stuff (mixed 10%).

Glad somebody is researching/ R&Ding this. My moto would set off the red status light. However I was running a lot of timing in the summer and it never got to be critical.

Derno24

#18 Post by Derno24 »

Hmmmm surface area of A dale rad is about even 12x12 if I remember correctly. Z rad is 9 x 16 and a 250r is about 9.5 x 13 I think. I also wasn't going for a stocker I was heading for a double row. One other tid bit is the overflow bottle. I want to eliminate it, but in order to do so we have to replace it with another high point.

cannondale27

#19 Post by cannondale27 »

I am now running pump gas 12/1 compression.Gas here is not mixed with ethanol at least where I get it.Was running race gas straight first tank.Made no difference.Either way never did it while stock.Mods must have overwhelmed radiator.My light has never gone past first slow blinking stage.Man Derno those radiators sure looked smaller.Must be decieving cause they are wider.Losing the height would be good though more room for injectors and probably hose needed to cross over.

CannondaleRider

#20 Post by CannondaleRider »

Well, what is the main thing a lot of you guys are doing? slow speed stuff like woods riding, or high speed stuff like desert racing?

Because i will be running a Falicon 469 motor and krash will probably be running a Timbo stroker. Do you think with us going fast most of the time in desert racing, running evans, and using Avgas(Brad told krash that avgas is the best fuel for hot weather, because it runs really cool), do you think we'll have much problems with cooling? :eek: