Cooling issues

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
jfarrar

#31 Post by jfarrar »

i ran the crap out of mine this weekend.i dont have the status lights but it never over heated although i could feel the power fall off a little more than i like.it was right around 90 both days.i run alluminum impellar and engine ice and a ported 467high compression.also have powdercoated fram and engine case.

does anyone have the outside measurements for an aftermarket dual row radiator for the z400?

USAMoto00

#32 Post by USAMoto00 »

This weekend was AWESOME for riding! Rode both days and probably 4-6 hours each day. Had a little glitch on Sunday though. The temps. crept up to mid 90's in the valley that we were riding and I experienced a little "hiccup" now and again at the worst possible moments! I think my quad is running way lean and the temps just put it over the top. It did it spuratically which kind of bothered me more than anything. A little mapping change is in order I guess and all should be well again. Good thing that it didn't happen to me on Sat. as we were doing 90' plus doubles and triples all day long!:usa The track is called Dirtworld and it is very kick A$$. Just ask J. lol

Derno24

#33 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by jfarrar
i ran the crap out of mine this weekend.i dont have the status lights but it never over heated although i could feel the power fall off a little more than i like.it was right around 90 both days.i run alluminum impellar and engine ice and a ported 467high compression.also have powdercoated fram and engine case.

does anyone have the outside measurements for an aftermarket dual row radiator for the z400?

Check earlier in the post 9 inches tall by 16 inches wide. Wider than our stocker, but shorter in height by 2 inches or so. I have one here and I have checked looks good.

Brad Oakley

#34 Post by Brad Oakley »

27 --When I was at the ride at Jay's, he showed me a new guard he was working on. It sits about 4 " in front of the radiator. That would stop the debris, but still allow some air flow around it if it got packed with mud. We need to check up on this. I thought it was a great idea!!!

As for the ATK/aluminum valve cover question... It comes down to persistence and priorities. I've been after this for over a year-and-a-half! I feel like Tom Edison! I now know 200 ways that the cover CAN'T be made.

GDITheman

#35 Post by GDITheman »

good for you brad. you've got an order coming from me when you get the valve covers ready. thanks for the effort.

cannondale27

#36 Post by cannondale27 »

Ever notice how much the coolant is being splashed around in the bottle when it is revved up?I am thinking this is wasted motion.In other words that splashing could be converted to more circulation if there wasnt a big airgap in the bottle.When Kdeal gets those aluminum bottles out I am going to fill it right to the top like you would a normal radiator.I bet that will help.Of course some will undoubtably come out because of expansion but shouldnt be very much.This splashing also is probably exagerated by the locating of hose for bottle directly across from inlet.Question?What would be pros and cons of reversing flow direction?(Switching hoses).

cannondale27

Cooling issues

#37 Post by cannondale27 »

Combined a few.

jwheat

#38 Post by jwheat »

Originally posted by cannondale27
Ever notice how much the coolant is being splashed around in the bottle when it is revved up?I am thinking this is wasted motion.In other words that splashing could be converted to more circulation if there wasnt a big airgap in the bottle.When Kdeal gets those aluminum bottles out I am going to fill it right to the top like you would a normal radiator.I bet that will help.Of course some will undoubtably come out because of expansion but shouldnt be very much.This splashing also is probably exagerated by the locating of hose for bottle directly across from inlet.Question?What would be pros and cons of reversing flow direction?(Switching hoses).

The air amount in the bottle is minimal and necessary for expansion. You won't gain enough extra coolant to be of any help. Why not use better air scoops that are angled outwards to scoop more air towards the radiator and increase the airflow though the radiator? If you increase the flow rate of the coolant, as C27 suggest, you may not allow enough time for the coolant to transfer heat as it goes through the radiator. Just a thought.

Cdale_racer_669

#39 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

the OMF scoops angle outward, anyone try those? i have a set, but lost my stockers to do any sort of test.

cdalemx301

#40 Post by cdalemx301 »

I just mounted a set of OMF but am yet to ride the bike with them mounted will let you know how they work