The hydro lock issue?

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
Jctmotorsports

Epoxy Problems.

#1 Post by Jctmotorsports »

What are some of you guys doing to get this dam epoxy out of the oil pump bores. Chipping is a bear...what to reseal with? I've got two late pumps with no c-clips. Both motors have bad hydrolock problems. I'm open to ideas or would like to get two early pumps with c-clips to rebuild.
Thanx,
Chuck

jwheat

#2 Post by jwheat »

The expoxy may be similiar to what GM used to use on the u-joints on their driveshafts. If so you can melt them out with a small propane torch. Just a suggestion.

wistech

The hydro lock issue?

#3 Post by wistech »

Ive been thinking that a simple external check ball would be a simple fix for those nagging hydrolockers. Ive got some small check valves that I bet would fit into the rear engine fitting with a little machine work. Its been a backburner project for about a year now and I dont think Ill get around to it for a while . If anyone want to give it a shot and do some testing Ill give you a couple valves to play with. Some flow testing and reliabilty testing would be required. Wouldnt want it to cut the flow off if it failed. Take the idea and run with it. let me know if i can help out with parts.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

Dont everybody jump in all at once.LOL
Is this not big enough an issue to care about messing with? If you have excperienced this has it been intermittnat or does it do it all the time?

jfarrar

#5 Post by jfarrar »

i wish i had more time i would do it.mine is leaking badly.2-3 days and most the oil is in my crankcase:mad: doesnt seep up past the rings but i think it is blowing out past my crank seal and into my stator when i try to start it.it sat for 2 days and i went to pull the starter clutch cover and to my suprise i got a floor full of oil.lol.

jfarrar

#6 Post by jfarrar »

i have a ? about this also.would are topends be starving for oil for a period of time while the oil is being pumped back in the frame and all the way back to the motor again.im just curios if a majority of the oil is in the crankcase how long it takes to get pumped out and back through sad.gif

Canniboomer

#7 Post by Canniboomer »

Intermittent, and probably aggravated by long oil change intervals
or frame debris -- we can all be easy victims.
If you think these valves can work at that angle, opening with slight spar pressure or any pump suction, then closing at zero suction, then sure why not? I could tinker with one, eventually that is, and happy to cover your cost.

magzZ28

#8 Post by magzZ28 »

wow, this site is amazing. unlike other quad sites, when you have a problem, you fix it your self. that is awesome and deffinetly deserves :clap: :clap: :head:

lol sorry i'm just astonished because i've never seen anything like this before

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

MagzZ28 invite your friends.No matter what they ride.No problem cant be overcome with all the people here.We all enjoy challenges
Welcome and your words made me proud and others also I am sure.Thanks

i have a ? about this also.would are topends be starving for oil for a period of time while the oil is being pumped back in the frame and all the way back to the motor again.im just curios if a majority of the oil is in the crankcase how long it takes to get pumped out and back through

Jason I wouldnt worry since the scavenger pump really pumps alot of volume.Really though if it actually gets enough on top of piston that there is a need to pull plug(hydrolocked)All the oil should be drained and start over just to be safe.This is one more reason NEVER to pull start a quad.Hydrolock is very dangerous to motor.Oil doesnt compress much at all.

cdalerider75

#10 Post by cdalerider75 »

Say.... what is Hydrolock ? I love learning about new and old issues.. perhaps this has happened to me but since I don't know what Hydrolock is, I wouldn't know if it happened to me.